Deadline: 2 November 2019
Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Human Rights Officer in Geneva, Switzerland.
The mission of OHCHR is to work for the protection of all human rights for all people, to help empower people to realize their rights and to assist those responsible for upholding such rights in ensuring that they are implemented.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
The Human Rights Officer will perform the following functions:
- Assist the mandate-holders (Special Rapporteur/Independent Expert/Working Groups) in country missions, including preparation of the mission, drafting of mission reports and follow up to the implementation of the recommendations.
- Provide support to the mandate holders in preparing thematic seminars and consultations and drafting of the annual reports to the Human Rights Council and General Assembly and related oral presentation, as applicable.
- Plan and coordinate activities related to thematic and country mandates on human rights, including from a gender perspective.
- Conduct substantive research and analysis of human rights issues/events and assesses their impact on the human rights situation in assigned region or country.
- Collect and analyses human rights data and indicators in country/region of assignment, including gender-specific data and indicators.
- Provide support to mandate holders to prepare communications to states and other relevant entities with regard to issues of concern relevant to their mandate; follows-up on implementation of decisions rendered by policy-making bodies.
- Ensure human rights issues, including their gender equality dimensions considerations, are integrated into political, humanitarian and economic efforts and programme.
- Define work plan for area assigned in accordance with established terms of reference.
- Follow up on different cases and situations verified by the regional/country offices.
- Represent UN human rights programme at working level meetings.
- Direct capacity-building efforts on human rights in region/country of assignment.
- Write a variety of reports, communications, briefings, statements, etc., including to policy-making bodies.
- May provide guidance to new/junior staff.
- Perform other related duties as required.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in law, political science, international relations, social sciences or related field.
- A first level university degree in combination with 2 additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible experience in human rights, political affairs, international relations, law or related areas is required.
- Minimum 1 year of work experience with the United Nations common system human rights mechanisms is desirable
- Experience in drafting official reports and organizing field visits is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of French is desirable.
- Knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.
How to Apply
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit OHCHR.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.