Deadline: 31 May 2022
The Wikimedia Foundation is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Senior Director of External Communications (Marketing Communications) in California, United States.
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates Wikipedia – one of the most popular websites in the world, serving nearly half a billion users every month – and its sister sites. It is the only non-profit in the top 50 companies, supported by a community of millions of individual donors.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Senior Director of External Communications (Marketing Communications) will perform the following functions
- Integrated Marketing
- Develop and deploy an integrated marketing programs plan across all paid, owned and earned touchpoints
- Work closely with the Head of Insights to drive strategy by providing relevant market insights and definitions of audience needs to all Foundation stakeholders
- Identify opportunities to increase Movement awareness and participation as well as to continuously improve communications effectiveness using insights and analytics
- Act as the front door for the Foundation as a whole in developing integrated external communications plans that maximize the chances of success of key initiatives from those Departments
- Digital Communications
- Develop a comprehensive vision, editorial, engagement, and growth strategy for Wikimedia/Wikipedia digital channels
- Provide oversight for market-specific digital awareness and engagement campaigns for key growth opportunity markets
- Identify opportunistic, cutting-edge, and experimental digital brand and awareness collaborations
- Media & Public Relations
- Determine international media priorities and provide direction for proactive and reactive interactions with the press to support the Wikimedia mission, values, and strategic priorities
- Support the development of global, targeted regional, and national media campaigns that generate significant coverage of major milestones, launches, and developments
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key market media outlets, as well as with top-tier sectoral, national, and international journalists
Applicants must have:
- 12+ years experience as a strategic leader in marketing and communications
- Experience in managing large teams
- Track record of creating and implementing successful marketing and communications strategies with collaborative outcomes
- Ability to create and maintain strong relationships, and balance the needs of multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience in delivering and quantifying audience engagement value
- Experience in cross-cultural communications, including communicating across multiple languages.
- Familiarity with use of English with people whose primary language is not English.
- Experience working with multi-layered communications teams across multiple functional areas
- Experience working with programs that bridge communications, product, marketing, technology, and policy
- Strong international perspective with personal experience in non-native cultures is highly valued
- Experience working with a distributed workforce and sensitivity to diverse cultures, and backgrounds
- Experience developing programs for developing markets or audiences with limited access to high-speed internet
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit Wikimedia Foundation.