Deadline: 21 May 2016
United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Child Protection Specialist in Pretoria, South Africa.
The Child Protection Specialist will be responsible for evidence-building, advocacy and technical support for strengthening the national child protection system, addressing the social and behavioral dimension and response to Violence against Children and responding to child protection concerns in emergencies.
UNICEF works for a world in which every child has a fair chance in life.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Child Protection Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Provide advice to the Chief in establishing the annual work plan including developing strategies and determining priorities/targets and performance measurements.
- Provide technical assistance/advice to colleagues in the Section on all aspects of programming and implementation to enable colleagues to achieve program/performance objectives.
- Perform the full duties of the Chief in his/her absence.
- Plan and/or provide technical assistance and operational support to the preparation/design and conduct/update of situation analysis to ensure that current comprehensive and evidence based data on child protection.
- Keep abreast of national/regional/international development priorities on child protection and rights to enhance program management and delivery.
- Participate in major monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and to engage stakeholders to take required action/interventions to achieve results.
- Prepare/assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in program and management, identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals.
- Provide technical advice to key government officials, NGO, UN system and other country office partners on policies, strategies, best practices and approaches on child protection, human rights and other related issues to support program development planning, implementation and delivery of results.
- Coordinate/ensure the availability of technical experts (with Regional Office/HQ) to ensure timely support throughout all stages of programming/project processes.
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships through networking and advocacy with local/national governments, UN system agency partners, donors, internationally recognized institutions, NGOs, funding organization, research institutes and private sector to reinforce cooperation and/or pursue opportunities to promote goals and achieve sustainable and broad results on child protection.
- Prepare communication strategies and implementation plans and activities for maximum communication impact and outreach to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances for sustainable results and support fund raising for UNICEF and Country Office child protection programs and emergency interventions.
Applicants must have-
- Advanced University degree (Master’s) in International Development, Human Rights, Psychology, Sociology, International Law or other social science field is required.
- Minimum 8 years of professional relevant experience, at the national and international levels, in social development planning and management in child protection and/other related areas.
- Relevant work experience in child protection and related areas, program/project development and management in a UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Relevant work experience in both development and humanitarian contexts are an added advantage.
- Fluency in English (written & verbal) is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNICEF.