Deadline: 23 August 2018
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Education Advocacy Consultant in Nairobi, Kenya.
NRC provides assistance, protection and durable solutions to refugees and internally displaced persons worldwide.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Education Advocacy Consultant will perform the following functions:
- Conduct a desk review of current education sector situation in Dadaab including NRC and partner programmes and the ongoing NRC funded Impact Initiatives (REACH) project multi-sectoral camp assessments related to the numbers of out-of-school children and barriers to accessing education in Dadaab (who they are, where they live, how many they are, and why they are out of school).
- Conduct additional research in Dadaab over a two-week period particularly in relation to engaging education sector partners, Ministry of Education officials, Teachers Service Commission officials, Board of Management members, parents, teachers and students and developing case studies that clarify both the barriers and consequences for out-of-school children and their families.
- This will include identifying the multiple and overlapping forms of exclusion and disparities that affects out-of-school children.
- Work with an NRC hired national photographer and videographer to develop a 3 to 5 minute video following an out-of-school refugee and host community child and their families that brings to light the issues in Dadaab.
- Produce a strong policy (advocacy) report with quantitative and qualitative data and use of case studies (20 pages).
- Engage with education partners to develop policy options, common recommendations and dialogue regarding the use of policy briefing for advocacy.
Applicants must have:
- University degree in public policy, international development, social sciences or a related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in advocacy and communications in humanitarian settings.
- Previous experience in refugee settings in East Africa region highly desirable.
- Prior experience in conducting research and advocacy on the education sector and proven skills in developing high quality advocacy reports and communication outputs.
- Excellent communication, stakeholder engagement and drafting skills.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Somali language skills would be an advantage.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit NRC.