Deadline: 22 May 2016
World Food Programme (WFP) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Programme Policy Officer in Cairo, Egypt. The Duration of this post is 12 Months.
The Programme Policy Officer will provide strategic and technical support for mainstreaming gender equality and women’s empowerment across WFP operations in the WFP Middle East, North Africa, Eastern Europe and Central Asia region.
World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Programme Policy Officer will perform the following functions-
- Advise the Regional Bureau on the implementation of the corporate Gender Policy and Regional Gender Strategy to mainstream gender into WFP Operations at the regional level and in Country Offices.
- Ensure robust mainstreaming of gender into WFP programming and operations, including systematic gender analysis, policy advice on specific gender issues that impact on WFP operations and advice on addressing gender-dimensions of nutrition programming, humanitarian response and other technical areas.
- Support the work of the Gender Results Network in the region. Contribute to gender knowledge networks and communities of practice through identification of best practices and lessons learned.
- Undertake a baseline assessment of GEWE in the region and in WFP operations as needed.
- Facilitate and support the integration of gender perspectives in the overall strategic planning and programming of projects/programmes.
- Coordinate the Gender Marker Coding at the regional and country levels.
- Strengthen monitoring of gender mainstreaming in the development of country strategy, programme/project design and implementation tools.
- Coordinate the implementation of corporate training and gender capacity development initiatives in the region.
- Provide (and/or facilitate) training/ orientation at regional and country level on gender awareness, gender analysis, gender marker, GBV, PSEA and other related gender issues.
- Support, advise and strengthen coordination mechanisms for gender mainstreaming and programming in humanitarian and development operations.
- Represent WFP in interagency working groups and facilitate WFP engagement and coordination of gender networks including inter-agency networks at the national and regional levels.
- Provide technical support and identify opportunities for advocacy for the promotion of gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- Perform other related tasks as requested by your direct supervisor.
Applicants must have-
- Advanced university degree (MA or PHD) in one of the following disciplines: social sciences, gender, international development, development economics or another related field.
- At least 10 years of solid, responsible and relevant work experience in the gender Field.
- In-depth knowledge of gender in humanitarian and development settings, gender-based violence, humanitarian policy issues, and its linkage with food security and nutrition.
- Solid analytical, writing skills, and communication skills (including developing advocacy messages)
- Sound knowledge and skills in training and facilitation.
- Knowledge of UN system policies and functions of gender-mandated agencies.
- Flexibility to travel on short notice and in challenging and difficult environments.
- Team spirit and excellent interpersonal relations.
- Working knowledge (proficiency/Level C) of English is required and working knowledge of other UN language.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WFP.