Deadline: 15 April 2021
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Health, Safety, Social and Environmental (HSSE) Specialist in Baghdad, Iraq.
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure, and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Health, Safety, Social and Environmental (HSSE) Specialist will perform the following functions:
- HSSE Planning, Coordination, and Implementation
- Provide advice and support on various health and safety related in the ongoing projects under the UNOPS Amman Hub (such as noise levels, use of protective equipment, and use of machinery etc.).
- Coordinate the development of health and safety systems, and procedures in line with corporate policies and guidelines.
- Advise the Hub Management all Project Managers (PMs) on all health and safety related matters during project planning and implementation.
- HSSE Monitoring and Reporting
- Propose and control projects’ budgets for health and safety and monitor related expenditures.
- Conduct regular field inspection and monitoring visits to the projects sites to identify possible areas/issues of non-conformity (e.g. unsafe work at heights and in excavations), prepare project’s health and safety related reports on occurrences, and provide statistical information to upper management.
- HSSE Compliance
- Ensure that all Health & Safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to and are regularly reviewed, updated and communicated.
- Perform health and safety projects’ assessments, both routine and exceptional, as required, to ensure optimal health and safety standards are in place.
Applicants must have:
- University Degree is required, preferably in health and safety management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in combination with an additional 2 year’s relevant work experience (7 in total) can be accepted in lieu of the advanced Degree.
- Minimum 5 year’s progressively responsible experience in Health, Safety, Social and Environmental (HSSE) management is required, with at least 3 year’s in managing and implementing projects’ related health and safety matters.
- Experience in Health and Safety risk assessments, inspections, incident investigation, and training facilitation is required.
- High proficiency with computers, and other software/ platforms related to the positions field of expertise is required.
- Experience with third party certification audits for Health & Safety and Environment Management is desired.
- Experience of working at UN agencies or other international Humanitarian/ Development organizations is highly desired.
- Experience in working with the G-Suite platform including, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Sheets, Docs, and Slides is an asset.
- Fluency in Arabic and English is required.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit UNOPS.