Deadline: 24 May 2016
United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Education Specialist in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Education Specialist will provide strategic leadership in delivery of education targets of the overall UN Assistance Strategy to Somalia (UNSAS) and undertake innovative strategies in the sector to effectively respond to emergency and developmental needs of Somali children and women.
UNICEF works for a world in which every child has a fair chance in life.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Education Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Supervise the activities leading to the completion of the Education Sector Analysis and the Education Sector Strategic Plan Update for all three governments especially for Somaliland and the Federal Government of Somalia where UNICEF is taking the lead in its implementation, and its periodic update, including technical support to the EMIS in each region and government-led annual primary school census.
- Provide leadership, guidance and direction for GPE programme management and evaluation of the education programme through periodic meetings, individually and in groups with the various sectoral teams.
- Responsible for overall coordination of the development of workplans, monitoring compliance and providing support and guidance to ensure objectives are met.
- Interact and provide technical support to local authorities and Non-government organizations at the national, regional and local levels in the planning, development and implementation stages of the GPE programme and related components of the UNICEF Somalia Education programme.
- Coordinate with Operations/Supply staff on supply and non-supply assistance activities. Approve disbursement of funds related to education, ensuring proper liquidation and accountability, such that activities are within established plans of action and the programme budget allotments.
- Conduct field assessment visits and surveys to monitor and evaluate programme implementation and effectiveness, identify problems and instituting remedial measures.
- Identify alternative courses of action to accelerate/improve programme delivery.
- In coordination and collaboration with other professional colleagues, establish and develop effective information and reporting systems to monitor and evaluate the impact of the programme and achievement of targeted goals.
Applicants must have-
- Advanced University Degree in education, economics, psychology, sociology or other social science field is required.
- 8 years progressive experience at national and international levels in programme planning, management, monitoring, and evaluation in related field.
- Proven expertise in education policy, systems and capacity development within the education sector including sector wide approaches to programming and related financing mechanisms.
- Experience in similar contexts of fragility is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
- Knowledge of local working language of the duty station an asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNICEF.