Deadline: 31 October 2021
United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Programme Specialist in Nairobi, Kenya.
UNICEF works for a world in which every child has a fair chance in life.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Programme Specialist will perform the following functions:
- Support formulation and coordination of inputs on the overarching programmatic framework across the RO
- Provide technical guidance and inputs to UNICEF RO sections (CP, Health, WASH, Education, Youth, Nutrition) on climate change adaptation, disaster risk reduction and building climate resilience in order to support RO in identifying UNICEF’s niche for addressing Climate Change impacts on children, awareness raising and design of programmes supporting the rights of children and strengthening risk informed programming in the region as and when required.
- Regional Office Work planning and Technical Assistance to Country Offices
- Work collaboratively with COs, (sub-) regional inter-government bodies, donors, the private sector and regional partners on climate, energy and environment programming to ensure the most strategic use of the collective resources.
- Data evidence and advocacy
- Support development of regional baselines for climate energy and environment components of the regional programme and identify relevant approaches to address gaps identified.
- External Partnerships and Fund Mobilisation
- Develop strategic partnerships with financing and development partners, International Development Banks and the private sector to enhance, Climate programming in the region.
- Advocacy, networking, partnership and building
- Support vulnerability data collection, management and assessment in line with UNICEFs key thematic areas in order to support child focused vulnerability assessment and mapping activities and enhance climate change adaptation, disaster risk reduction and building climate resilience at sub regional level.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s or higher) in climatology, geology or earth sciences, climate change adaptation, disaster risk reduction, water resource management, engineering, social and economic development, international cooperation, or environmental sciences as well as additional project/financial management designations or a related field.
- Additional relevant post-graduate courses that complement / supplement the main Degree are desirable.
- Minimum 8 year’s relevant professional experience in Climate, Energy & Environment related programmes for developing countries is required.
- Experience of working in developing contexts is required.
- Work experience in Eastern and Southern Africa will be an added advantage.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) relevant to the region is an asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit UNICEF.