Deadline: 16 March 2020
Amnesty International (AI) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Business and Human Rights Legal Researcher in London, United Kingdom.
The AI’s global campaign is to change the lives of those suffering human rights abuses.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Business and Human Rights Legal Researcher will perform the following functions-
- Manage and develop AI’s corporate crimes project, including ensuring the delivery of work linked to external grants; guiding its strategic direction and vision.
- maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders; and representing AI in fundraising activities.
- Carry out investigative research (both desk and field research) into legal breaches, including the commission of crimes, by corporate actors; carry out investigative research (using a range of techniques) into corporate structures and financial flows.
- Provide legal research and advice to support cases being investigated by AI, including advice on potential criminal offences and legal avenues for justice.
- Provide or commission written materials to support the investigation of AI cases by law enforcement agencies and act as AI’s lead representative on corporate crimes, with respect to both case work and the corporate crimes project generally.
- Provide the International Secretariat, sections, structures and networks in the AI movement with high quality analysis of international law and standards relevant to business and human rights and corporate crimes, including international human rights law, international humanitarian law, international criminal law and international economic law, and provide guidance on their implementation at the national level, in order to ensure that AI strategies and public documents reflect solid legal thinking and advance progressive interpretations of international law and standards.
- Advise on the strategic use of human rights bodies and procedures and international, regional, and national tribunals to advance AI priorities relating to business and human rights and corporate crimes.
- Prepare amicus curiae briefs and other third-party interventions in international and national courts in order to achieve progressive human rights outcomes relevant to business and human rights and corporate crimes, including in cooperation with the Law and Policy Programme.
- As appropriate, represent AI in meetings and on research missions in order to ensure delivery of AI priorities.
- Provide expert advice on issues within the post’s thematic brief to AI staff, sections/structures, and other AI membership bodies in order to ensure accuracy and relevance, and the integration of these issues into AI’s work.
- Write or contribute to the drafting of timely and effective reports, briefings, position papers, correspondence, action materials, press releases, and other internal and external documents in order to implement AI’s agreed strategies.
- Participate in the development of strategies and project plans in order to help ensure delivery of AI’s priorities.
- Develop and maintain productive relations with AI membership, members of the human rights movement, and experts working on particular thematic issues in order to contribute to organizational effectiveness and own professional development.
Applicants must have-
- Professional qualification to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, or recognition as an outstanding professional international lawyer, and experience in the practice of law, is essential.
- Professional qualification or extensive knowledge of and experience in the application of international law, including international human rights law, humanitarian law and international criminal law, is essential.
- Professional qualification or extensive knowledge of and experience in domestic criminal law, corporate law and / or economic law.
- Experience in investigating human rights-related corporate crimes and in identifying and pursuing legal avenues for justice at national and international level.
- Experience in applying for and managing externally-funded projects and grants, including developing the strategy and vision for the implementation of such projects and developing and working closely with partners and networks.
- Excellent ability to analyze accurately complex legal issues and apply legal reasoning in pursuit of developing a strategic response.
- Excellent ability to evaluate situations and issues in the short, medium and long term, set strategic goals in accordance with organizational priorities, monitor plans, and evaluate outcomes.
- Excellent ability to plan and prioritize work, including when under pressure, and to ensure that deadlines are met.
- Excellent ability to work cooperatively internally and externally with others, including with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent ability to represent AI externally, including in a diplomatic context, in governmental and other discussions, and to the media, and to explain complex legal concepts simply and accurately to a variety of audience.
- Experience chairing or speaking at international meetings is desirable.
- Excellent ability to write clearly and concisely, without need for significant editorial revision.
- Outstanding written and verbal English is essential.
- In addition, the ability to work to a high professional level in 4 another language, particularly French, Mandarin, or Spanish, is desirable.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit AI.