Deadline: 29 March 2020
Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Human Rights Officer in Yaounde, Cameroon.
The mission of OHCHR is to work for the protection of all human rights for all people, to help empower people to realize their rights and to assist those responsible for upholding such rights in ensuring that they are implemented.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
The Human Rights Officer will perform the following functions:
- Plan and coordinate activities related to thematic and country mandates on human rights, including from a gender perspective.
- Conduct substantive research and analysis of human rights issues / events and assesses their impact on the human rights situation in assigned region or country.
- Work with a variety of human rights actors, including civil society organisations, national institutions governments and UN agencies in advancing human in the country / region.
- Collect and analyse human rights data and indicators in country / region of assignment, including gender-specific data and indicators.
- Provide support to sub-commissions, commissions and other bodies.
- Follow-up on implementation of decisions rendered by policy-making bodies.
- Ensure human rights issues, including their gender equality dimensions considerations, are integrated into political, humanitarian and economic efforts and programme.
- Define work plan for area assigned in accordance with established terms of reference.
- Assist countries’ security bodies and the judiciary as well as regional security and rule of law institutions and organisations to develop and implement a training program in the field of human rights, international humanitarian law, democracy and the rule of law, with attention to gender perspectives.
- Supervise field verification work through periodic visits.
- Follow up on different cases and situations in countries covered by the regional office.
- Represent UN human rights programme at working level meetings.
- Direct capacity-building efforts on human rights in region / country of assignment.
- Write a variety of reports, communications, briefings, statements, etc., including to policy-making bodies.
- May provide guidance to new / junior staff.
- Performs other related duties as required.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent degree) in law, political science, international relations, social sciences or related area is required.
- First-Level University Degree in combination with 2 additional year’s of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 5 year’s of progressively responsible experience in human rights, political affairs, international relations, law or related area is required.
- Experience in the region of the duty station is desirable.
- Experience working with the African Union is an advantage.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Fluency in English or French and knowledge of the other (both oral and written) are required.
How to Apply
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit OHCHR.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.