Deadline: 1 October 2019
Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Legal Officer in Geneva, Switzerland. The duration of this post is 1 year.
The mission of OHCHR is to work for the protection of all human rights for all people, to help empower people to realize their rights and to assist those responsible for upholding such rights in ensuring that they are implemented.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
The Legal Officer will perform the following functions:
- Handle a range of issues related to criminal (substantive, procedural and comparative) law, under the overall direction of the Head of the IIIM and the Deputy Head of the IIIM, and under the direct supervision of the P4 Legal Officer coordinating analysis.
- Conduct extensive legal research and analysis and prepares studies, comparative studies, briefs, reports and correspondence.
- Undertake basic or extensive review of evidence, legal documents, instruments, or other material; identifies important issues, similarities, and inconsistencies, etc.
- Prepare or assists in the preparation of drafts of briefs, background papers, studies, reports, correspondence, etc.
- Prepare or assists in the preparation of legal opinions/advice on a wide range of issues, including the United Nations Charter and General Assembly resolutions and decisions.
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of agreements and contracts with other UN entities, international organizations, governments and NGOs.
- Review, advise on and drafts indictments or other legal submissions.
- Assess evidence for relevance and admissibility.
- Prepare and assess briefs of evidence.
- Service or assist senior colleagues in servicing conferences, task forces, and other bodies, including preparation of background materials, summaries of issues and meeting reports.
- Assist in representing the Organization.
- Prepare or assists with the preparation of seminars and symposia, and lectures on various issues.
- Provide guidance to more junior staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in international law is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with 2 additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible experience in law, including legal analysis, research and writing, preferably relating to core international crimes obtained at the domestic or international level, is required.
- Prior work experience as a prosecutor with an international court or tribunal, or as a national prosecutor dealing with core international crimes, is desirable.
- Prior experience drafting or reviewing indictments (or similar legal submissions) is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of French is desirable.
- Knowledge of Arabic is desirable.
How to Apply
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit OHCHR.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.