Deadline: 22 March 2020
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Liaison Officer in Nairobi, Kenya.
UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
Key Job Responsibilities
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
The Liaison Officer will perform the following functions-
- Ensure efficient relationship and communication with Permanent Representatives, as well as efficient preparation and conduct of meetings of the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA), the Committee of Permanent Representatives (CPR), and related bodies.
- As a member of the Governance Affairs Office, providing major support to the Deputy Director of the Governance Affairs Office in enhancing UNEP’s relationship and communication with governments, ensuring the smooth and efficient preparation, conduct and follow-up of meetings of UNEP’s policy-making organs and their subsidiary bodies, including UNEA, the Open-Ended Meeting of the Committee of Permanent Representatives (OECPR) and the CPR.
- Provide major inputs for the organizing and convening of the meetings of the CPR, including its Sub-committees and Working Groups.
- Service the sessions of the UNEA.
- Coordinate with the Deputy Director, the preparation of relevant briefings for UNEP senior management, including with regard to official visits of the Executive Director to various Member States of the UN and government visits to UNEP.
- Identify follow-up actions based on the ED’s mission reports and providing inputs to ensure that necessary actions are taken.
- Undertake research on specific issues (environmental, political, institutional, etc.) at the request of the Deputy Director.
- Represent the Deputy Director in his/her absence, at diplomatic functions organized by the UNEP governing organs.
- Coordinate the gathering and consolidation of relevant information relating to the UNEP governing bodies on environmental activities in various countries as well as the updating of the country files.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in Political Science or International Relations, preferably with multidisciplinary approach (the integration of politics, law, economics, trade, environment and development) is required.
- First-Level University Degree (preferably in communications or a related field) in combination with 2 additional year’s of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 7 year’s of progressively responsible work experience in international relations, governance and negotiations.
- Liaison with governments and UN officials on environmental issues, communication (public affairs, writing, etc.) and research is required.
- Excellent knowledge of and work experience in UNEP policies, programmes and governing structures, as well as experience of the UN system, its rules and protocols, is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
How to Apply
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit UNEP.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.