Deadline: 27 May 2020
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Programme Management Officer in Bonn, Germany.
UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Programme Management Officer will perform the following functions-
- Serve as the Coordinator for the inter-governmental AEWA Lesser White-fronted Goose International Working Group on behalf of the UNEP/AEWA Secretariat.
- Organize and facilitate meetings; develops, implements and evaluates projects and activities including monitoring of implementation.
- Prepare and review relevant documents and reports.
- Identity problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of the species action and management framework under AEWA: facilitates the development, revision and/or retirement of AEWA International Species Action Plans (ISAPs); coordinates the development of relevant criteria and guidance in consultation with the AEWA Technical Committee.
- Coordinate budget and funding activities in relation to priority AEWA International Species Action Plans (fundraising, programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (donor agreements, small-scale funding agreements, work plans and project budgets) in cooperation with donors and implementing partners.
- Administer, prepares and monitors the budget and financial cycles of various project activities, including UMOJA administration.
- Assist with the overall policy development under the Agreement as part of the input delivered by the Science, Implementation and Compliance Unit: provides substantive support to the AEWA Technical and Standing Committees (TC and StC) as well as the AEWA Meeting of the Parties (MOP) including the preparation of various written outputs (Draft Resolutions, decision documents, background papers, reports and inputs to publications).
- Assist with the recruitment of new Contracting Parties to the Agreement.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in law, political, environmental or natural sciences or in a related field is required.
- First-Level University Degree in combination with two years qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 5 year’s of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, environmental or nature conservation policy, conservation biology, environmental management, or related areas is required.
- At least 2 year’s in an international environment is required.
- Experience working with Multilateral Environmental Agreements, national governments and stakeholders within the international conservation community is desirable.
- Experience working with intergovernmental processes, particularly as a coordinator or a networker, is an asset.
- Working experience with Enterprise Resources Planning Systems (ERP), is an asset.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit UNEP.