Deadline: 5 January 2020
Plan International is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Communication & Media Coordinator in Maroua, Cameroon. The duration of this post is 12 months.
The Communication & Media Coordinator will be responsible for the implementation of Communication, Information and Media related activities within the emergency response areas in the Far-North Region.
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Communication & Media Coordinator will perform the following functions-
- External Liaison and Communications
- Develop and amend as necessary a Communication Plan for Plan International’s program in Maroua.
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with frontline national and international media (journalists}, Communications staff and representatives of other NGOs, government institutions, UN Agencies, etc.
- Act as the main point of contact for media and respond to requests for information from journalists, NOs, and donors, including arranging interviews and field visits.
- Internal Liaison and Communications
- Share a steady flow of information (social media updates, human interest stories, talking points and Q&As, blogs etc.) with the PR & Com Specialist for internal and external dissemination as per Plan International’s communications guide.
- Coordinate the preparation of Situation Reports (SitRep) to update on the status of Plan International’s disaster response activities;
- Regularly provide high-resolution, good quality digital images and videos of the emergency and Plan International’s work.
- Develop engaging massages to communicate key policies and values of Plan International to staff.
- Visibility and Branding
- Ensure the correct use of Plan International’s identity and that or partners and donors, in respect to the Brand Manual.
- Ensure the quality production of Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials.
- Ensure the quality branding of constructions, Non-Food Items (NFIs) and other realisations of Plan International, with the identity of Plan International and that of partners, where applicable.
- Media Monitoring and Evaluation
- Work with PR & Com and external media service providers to produce quality audiovisual material (documentaries, spots, etc).
- Compile a log of media calls organised within the response programme.
- Work with PR & Com specialist to monitor media and compile a list of national/international media coverage.
Applicants must have:
- University Degree in Journalism, Communication or equivalent experience.
- At least 3 years of experience working in journalism, communications, media, or Public Relations.
- Strong understanding of print, radio, television and online media.
- Experience as a spokesperson.
- Good photography and/or filming skills.
- Additional technical skills are desirable, including proficiency in Adobe Photoshop or photo-editing software and movie-editing software such as Adobe Premier.
- Fluent written and spoken English and French.
- Preference will be given to candidates who speak more than one working language.
- Minimum 1 year of experience working with or in collaboration with an NGO or UN agency, or equivalent, is preferred.
- Prior experience travelling to, or working in an emergency environment will be an asset.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Ability to operate effectively in stressful situations, including working overtime.
- Gender awareness and cultural sensitivity.
- Good time management and problem-solving skills.
- Work with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to Plan International’s values and principles.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit Plan International.