Deadline: 14 June 2019
WWF-Greater Mekong is seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Communications Manager – Illegal Wildlife Trade and Closing Asia’s Ivory Markets High Impact Initiative in Yangon Myanmar.
The Communications Manager will be responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing a strategic communications plan to support the conservation objectives of both initiatives, working closely with key programme and communication teams in the Greater Mekong, China and the broader WWF Network.
WWF-Greater Mekong’s mission is to conserve the region’s biodiversity and build a secure and sustainable future for people and wildlife.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Communications Manager will perform the following functions:
- Develop and implement the communications strategy for both initiatives within agreed timetables and budgets, ensuring its integration with the policy and program strategies, and targeting key audiences to build an international profile for WWF-Greater Mekong’s illegal wildlife trade and Ivory HII work and maximising the impact of conservation program achievements.
- Review existing communications capacity and assets within WWF for illegal wildlife trade and ivory trade with the aim to identify available resources and expertise and gaps in assets and knowledge.
- Oversee and conduct research as appropriate to inform communications strategies, messaging and campaign propositions designed to effectively persuade target audiences to take action against illegal wildlife trade and ivory trade
- Conceive and develop special campaigns and events linked to the goals, objectives and work plans of the illegal wildlife trade and ivory High Impact Initiatives.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with targeted online, print and broadcast journalists, editorial writers and columnists, as well as other media staff.
- Execute and monitor media strategies and activities, including press conferences, one-to-one briefings, press releases, media pitches and other written materials.
- Handle press inquiries and pursue opportunities promoting illegal wildlife trade and ivory trade.
- Organise media training for staff as necessary.
- Collaborate with TRAFFIC and other partner organisations to ensure an integrated communications strategy and delivery, and identify and build partnerships that support external communications for illegal wildlife trade and ivory trade at the regional and international level.
- Work with colleagues to produce and commission, as appropriate, editorials, features, advertisements, brochures, fact sheets, briefing, position papers, news stories etc. on key wildlife trade issues; and research and commission visuals, videos, photographs and footage as necessary.
- Develop and manage the Greater Mekong illegal wildlife trade website and contribute to the Ivory High Impact Initiative website.
- Prepare communication project descriptions, budgets and progress reports on a timely basis, as mutually agreed, to the Communications Advisor, WWF-Greater Mekong, and GMPO Regional Illegal Wildlife Trade Program Manager and Ivory High Impact Initiative Coordinator.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
Applicants must have:
- University Degree (post-graduate preferable) with related academic and professional background in the field related to communications, media, policy advocacy, public relations or marketing.
- At least 5 years of working experience, preferably in nature conservation communications, advocacy or NGO communications.
- Proven experience and success in communications.
- Sound experience in the development and implementation of communication strategies, preferably in a multicultural setting, coupled with an ability to anticipate and capitalize on opportunities to achieve high profile results.
- Good interpersonal and management skills, versatile and able to work in a team as well as independently.
- Familiarity with a wide range of communication tools and approaches, their potential impact and their suitability for an organization like WWF.
- Long-term planning and analytical skills, as well as demonstrated ability to multi-task and work effectively to tight deadlines without compromising quality.
- Strong interpersonal skills are essential, as are skills in partnership development and the ability to develop relationships with a wide range of audiences.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, supported by strong computer, internet and digital media skills.
- Strong verbal and written English skills are essential; other languages such as Mandarin, would be an asset.
- Demonstrates WWF behaviours in ways of working: strive for impact, listen deeply, collaborate openly and innovate fearlessly.
- Adhere to WWF’s values, which are: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engagingncial/Accounting ERP module and experience of handling of FCRA funds and accounts shall be an advantage.
How to Apply
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
Interested Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae in English and scan/photo of diplomas/certificates with the subject line “Applications for Communications Manager” via email at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit WWF-Greater Mekong.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.