Deadline: 27 August 2019
Plan International is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Communications & Medias Officer in Dakar, Senegal.
The Communications & Medias Officer will coordinate and implement Communication and Public Relations strategies projects and activities and to contribute to Plan International Senegal becoming a recognized voice for girls leadership & child protection in Senegal.
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Communications & Medias Officer will perform the following functions:
- Plan International Senegal’s institutional image is raised to the required global standards and quality.
- Regular and positive mention of Plan International Senegal in national media to positively portray its impact on the lives of girls and children and their communities.
- Support of the Production of regular stories for news and views to tell the Plan International Senegal story to both internal and external audiences.
- Compile media monitoring reports from across the country and analyzes results.
- Identify and prepare Plan interviewees for media.
- Support advocacy campaigns at a regional level with efficient media work.
- Support in disaster communications.
- Provide strategic advice to country offices using media as a development program strategy.
- Show proactive initiative on ideas to highlight Plan’s work in the media and the development sector.
- Maintain up-to-date lists of media in the country and build relationships with them.
- Provision of media-related customer service to Plan’s internal and external audiences.
- Uphold Plan’s media and other policies with a remit on communication activities.
- Support the organisation’s campaigns, ensure media contribution, support and take initiatives towards campaign objectives in the country.
- Ensure that Communication and PR activities meet Plan International child protection standards and standards for ethical journalism.
- Ensure gender mainstreaming into communications and public relations activities and maintain gender sensitivity towards staff to avoid discrimination.
- Support the production of Plan International Senegal’s corporate program, projects and sponsorship reports/documents to meet the required standards.
- Provide support for organizing special events for donor engagement, government relationship building and media relations.
- Follow the implementation of standard 8 on child and youth safeguarding related to Publicity, media and communications toward children.
Applicants must have:
- University degree in journalism, Mass Communications and Public Relations, in development studies, political science or a related field.
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience including implementation of communication strategies, and communications and marketing products.
- Strong experience in writing in French and good experience in writing in English.
- Experience of developing and implementing communication strategies that bring about significant policy and/or practice change.
- Proven experience of working in partnership with other NGOs and NGO networks.
- Good knowledge of the communication and medias relations profession.
- An understanding of child protection, gender, human rights and development programs (livelihood, health, education etc.) youth and child participation, and community development issues and processes is desirable.
- Knowledge of modern communication platforms, understanding of news values and demonstrable success in generating media interest and coverage.
- Good level communication skills, including experience of communicating effectively across cultures and with diverse audiences, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent writing, editing and reviewing skills both in English and in French.
- Promotes innovation and learning.
- Communicates clearly, effectively and enthusiastically.
- Creativity and innovation.
- Ability to understand different cultural contexts and marketing / PR realities related development issues would be an advantage.
- Strong team building and motivational skills.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit a comprehensive cover letter and clear CV that includes the contact of two of their referees, one of whom should be their current employer through online process.
For more information, please visit Plan International.