Deadline: 22 August 2019
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Communications Officer in Nairobi, Kenya. The duration of this post is 1 year.
UNON supports programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Communications Officer will perform the following functions-
- Develop and plan outreach and information strategies aimed at promoting awareness and understanding of the role, services, performance metrics and focal/entry points of DAS.
- Prepare a two-year communications strategy for Division of Administration Services (DAS) with associated work-plan.
- On the basis of official UN policies and procedures, and in coordination with DAS Services, produce and quality control, communications and information products to create awareness relating to the work of DAS (e.g. FAQs, on-boarding guidelines, how-to guidelines, performance narratives, information circulars etc.).
- Maintain and update DAS content on the intranet. Content production and quality control of information, articles, updates etc. pertaining to DAS.
- Support quality control of all communications and messages sent on behalf of Office of the Director, DAS.
- Prepare presentations, documents and DAS related communication to clients, staff, management and Member States for enhanced service uptake and service quality.
- Draft iSeek articles, newsletters, booklets, presentations, reports to clients or Member States.
- Undertake activities to create awareness of significant events, priorities and trends in DAS through multimedia and social media coverage.
- Provide talking points and briefing notes as requested.
- Collaborate with the related divisions of UNEP and UNHABITAT, UNIC and UN Division of Global Communications.
- Develop client satisfaction surveys for DAS common and core services provision to encompass best practices and principles in the areas of client satisfaction, pricing and costing while monitoring identified key performance indicators.
- Any other duties as assigned.
Applicants must have-
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communication or journalism, public information or related field.
- First-level university degree in combination with 2 additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible experience in communications, journalism, public information or related area is required.
- Experience with international organisations is required.
- Experience with social media, multi-media and graphic design is required.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, editing, overseeing layout of material and managing intranet and websites is required.
- Experience in preparation of high level presentations and briefing notes is highly desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNON.