Deadline: 12 July 2019
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Communications Specialist in New York, United States. The duration of this post is 1 year.
The Communications Specialist is responsible for maintaining a close collaboration with the UNDP’s Bureau for External Relation and Advocacy (BERA) as well as UNDP’s Executive Office at the working level, and ensuring harmonization between and incorporation within the corporate communications strategy.
UNDP works in nearly 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Communications Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Ensure planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach geared towards supporting partnership-building and resource mobilization, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Planning and elaboration of communications needs assessments.
- Well-developed communications and outreach strategy based on the corporate communications strategy.
- Constructive and timely advice on inclusion of communication components in programme formulation to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of UNDP and CB’s development programme.
- Manage the writing, development, design, production and dissemination of diverse publications and news releases through a variety of media, including print, broadcast, online and social, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Well-reasoned innovative suggestions and approaches to address communications issues.
- Elaboration and implementation of the CB publications strategy and plan based on the corporate publications policy.
Identification and development of storylines for publications and substantive articles contributing to debates on key crisis-related issues (including active seeking and verification of inputs).
- Identification and development of storylines for media, including print, broadcast, online and social, focusing on ongoing crisis situations in which UNDP works, including working closely and coordinating with staff on the ground.
- Oversee the content development, expansion and continual assessment of the quality and relevance of web-based information services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Website contents strongly and effectively reflect the Global Policy Network and Crisis Bureau’s principles and priorities.
- Regularly updated information on the website.
- Innovative ways of enhancing GPN/CB’s information dissemination using the internet.
- Promote optimum visibility of GPN/Crisis Bureau’s activities through effective media relations, placement and distribution of information material and creative partnerships, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintain stronger relations with relevant UN entities.
- Strategic partnerships formed with media counterparts at other UN agencies and external media networks, strengthening internal capacity for media outreach and technical expertise.
- Enhanced media/press coverage of UNDP in its strategic areas, positions and issues around crisis prevention, response and recovery, in line with corporate communications strategies.
- Collaborate effectively with BERA and other GPN colleagues and facilitates knowledge-building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Optimal working relations with the Bureau of External Relations and Advocacy team, other GPN teams, and Regional Bureaus communication specialists formed and maintained.
- Timely contributions of knowledge, expertise and information to BERA and GPN initiatives, leading to quality and high-impact outcome, support and input to corporate and organizational processes.
Applicants must have-
- Minimum of a Master’s degree or equivalent in communications, journalism, public relations, social sciences, international relations, or related field.
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in communications at the national or international level, including experience in media relations.
- Experience in the UN system desirable.
- Experience working in the field in crisis situations is desirable.
- Fluency in English, both oral and written, is required.
- Working knowledge of other UN official language (preferably French and/or Spanish) highly desirable.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNDP.