Deadline: 24 April 2016
Amnesty International (AI) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Media & Communications Manager in Brussels, Belgium.
The Media & Communications Manager will be responsible to lead, facilitate and support Amnesty International’s Brussels-based media and communications work in order to advance and raise awareness of the organization’s EU-focused human rights agenda with a particular emphasis on targeting relevant policy and practices of the EU Institutions.
The AI’s global campaign is to change the lives of those suffering human rights abuses.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Media & Communications Manager will perform the following functions-
- Generate press coverage in international, national and Brussels-based media for Amnesty International on EU related issues in order to build Amnesty International’s profile in the region and with EU decision makers in particular.
- Implement a media relations programme which includes: pro-active media liaison; pitching Amnesty International stories and spokespeople; organizing interviews; providing media briefings; drafting press releases, writing op eds; and responding to media requests.
- Work alongside the Head of the European Institutions Office to set the strategic communications direction in support of regional and global EU advocacy and campaign objectives.
- Advise research, campaigns and advocacy teams on the development of media and communications strategies on EU institutional issues; originate and contribute to media and communications products.
- Undertake crisis media work, ensuring Amnesty International responds in an effective and timely manner to key external and internal developments.
- Oversee the use of Amnesty International’s European Institutions Office social media channels.
- Monitor and report on Amnesty International’s media impact and metrics on EU issues including social media. Use results to make recommendations for future work to ensure continued media impact.
- Organize media events including news conferences and press briefings.
- Carry out own administrative tasks related to the post.
Applicants must have-
- Substantial, relevant experience in similar role in journalism or public relations, in an international environment.
- Understanding of international political and human rights issues and specifically how these issues apply in the EU context.
- Extensive experience in producing a wide range of quality materials for print and/or broadcast media, as well as for social media platforms.
- Strong knowledge of international, regional and national media – across traditional and digital platforms – with established contacts at key publications and broadcast outlets.
- Sound understanding of media relations management including updating and maintaining relationships with media contacts.
- Ability to judge issues and impact as well as experience in issues and crisis management.
- Experience in the use of social media networks, within a business context.
- Experience in organizing successful media events including press conferences, briefings and seminars in range of contexts.
- Experience in media monitoring, analysis and reporting.
- Knowledge of Amnesty International and interest in, and personal commitment to, the full range of human rights.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Fluency in local language is ideal.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit AI.