Deadline: 4 January 2020
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Public Information Officer (Head Writer) in Nairobi, Kenya. The duration of this post is 1 year.
UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Associate Programme Management Officer will perform the following functions-
- Programme implementation:
- Design, plan, develop and implement large, complex communication campaigns (e.g. story harvesting, global promotion initiatives, public information programmes, broad-reaching environment specific issues, etc.).
- Plan and manage the work to ensure smooth coordination, accuracy of the information and compliance with the content strategy.
- Provide advice and expertise to managers, senior officers and public information staff on a range of public information issues, methods and approaches.
- Anticipate and resolve communication/public relations issues/problems.
- Content preparation:
- Prepare diverse range of information communication products in support of UNEP’s major campaign initiatives.
- Write complex materials for various UN Environment newsletters, periodicals, reports and other publications.
- Write texts to be issued in the name of UN Environment’s senior officials; Write speeches, speaking notes, media advisories, and other content for the use by media.
- Draft and edit the UNEPannual report.
- Edit press releases, media advisories and other written outputs drafted by junior officers.
- Work closely with the communication team in developing key messages and themes for major UNEPevents to promote relevant policy or science messages.
- Capacity building:
- Evaluate results and impact of communication activities and report on developments, trends and attitudes regarding UNEP.
- Build information networks, plan and oversee maintenance of publicly accessible information materials on UNEP; plan and develop outreach activities including capacity building for journalists through workshops and training.
Applicants must have:
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- Advanced University Degree in Journalism, Communication, Social Sciences or other related field, or a first university degree with an additional 2 years of qualifying experience is required.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible experience in public information, communication, programme management or related field, some of which at the international level is required.
- Experience as an English writer with focus on environmental and/or sustainable development issues is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
For more information, please visit UNEP.