Deadline: 1 August 2019
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Programme Management Officer in Washington, D.C., United States. The duration of this post is 1 year.
UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Programme Management Officer will perform the following functions:
- Support the day-to-day functioning of the STAP in assisting with the management, coordination and administrative support to the Panel and being specifically responsible within assigned focal areas of the GEF for the development and delivery of the STAP Programme of work by doing the following:
- Assist STAP Secretary to prepare and oversee STAP Programme of Work including oversight of Programme deliverables and associated budget.
- Provide high-quality services to the Panel in the delivery of STAP’s Programme of Work.
- Help to organize and oversee the interaction between STAP and the GEF Council, GEF Secretariat, GEF Evaluation Office, GEF Agencies, and respective Multilateral Environmental Agreements by:
- Follow-up on STAP’s contribution to GEF strategies and policies to assure that they are informed by best available scientific and technical advice.
- Organize and oversee the distribution of project documentation and recommending revisions to STAP’s procedures for project screening as necessary.
- Supervise and undertake of selective reviews of GEF projects including Targeted Research proposals and discussing these with the GEF Agencies and providing technical support as requested.
- Appraise the STAP of strategic scientific and technical issues affecting GEF policies, strategies and programmes by:
- Identify, review and recommend to STAP, policy, strategic and operational issues requiring STAP’s analysis and advice.
- Prepare background papers for STAP discussions, including consolidating and synthesizing issues and options.
- Develop cooperative activities with the multilateral environmental agreements and its scientific bodies related to STAP work.
- Assist in the mobilization of scientific and technical expertise in the GEF through STAP, its working groups and networks of scientific institutions and bodies, so that STAP functions as a conduit between the GEF and the Scientific community at large by:
- Assess and finalize recommendations of nominees for members of STAP, its working groups and scientific networks.
- Promote the participation of STAP in international scientific initiatives relevant to the GEF focal areas, including proposing and developing cooperative activities between STAP and other scientific organizations and panels.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Applicants must have:
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in one of the physical, social or natural sciences or related field is required.
- First university degree in combination with 2 additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 7 years of progressive experience in project or programme management, or related area, of which 3 years at the international level is required.
- Experience in working with the scientific and technical community is desirable.
- Experience working in international waters and climate adaptation is also desirable.
- Experience in biological diversity and sustainable forest management, climate change, ozone layer depletion, land degradation and chemicals is an asset.
- English and French are the 2 working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of French is an added advantage.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
For more information, please visit UNEP.