Deadline: 10 May 2020
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Programme Management Officer (Head of Work Programme) in Bonn, Germany.
UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Programme Management Officer (Head of Work Programme) will perform the following functions-
- Lead and contribute to the implementation of the IPBES work programme as approved by the IPBES Plenary, ensuring that the decisions are implemented within the specific timeline and budget indicated by the Plenary.
- Maintain regular communication with members of the Platform and other stakeholders, the Bureau and Multidisciplinary Expert Panel and any other subsidiary bodies established by the Plenary to support the implementation of the IPBES work programme.
- Lead activities related to the work programme budget by guiding the implementation of the Plenary approved budget, prepares progress reports, financial statements, and documents for the sessions of the Plenary and the meetings of the subsidiary bodies of IPBES and for donors.
- Support the Executive Secretary as required in delivering on the mandate of IPBES.
- Provide substantive backstopping for the Executive Secretary to consultative and other meetings and conferences including proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparing documents and presentations.
- Support outreach activities; facilitates training workshops and seminars.
- Lead and contribute to the preparation of documents and other inputs for Plenary sessions.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in environmental science, management, economics or a related field.
- First-Level University Degree in combination with 2 additional year’s of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 7 year’s of progressively responsible experience in programme management or planning economics and/or environmental sciences is required.
- Experience working with key IPBES (Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services) stakeholders (scientific community, civil society organizations, UN Agencies, Multilateral Environmental Agreements, private sector and donors) in an international setting is an advantage.
- Experience in planning and organizing international events and/or conferences is desired.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit UNEP.