Deadline: 4 January 2019
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Programme Managment Officer – Climate Change Regional Coordinator in Manama, Bahrain.
UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Programme Managment Officer – Climate Change Regional Coordinator will perform the following functions-
- Serve as Senior Policy Officer, advise UN Environment and particularly the Coordinator for Climate Change on overall policy direction and country needs in the region that require UN Environment attention.
- Serve as primary UN Environment focal point in the region on capacity building and access to technology in the area of Climate Change and keep abreast of analyses and reports on the latest developments related to these areas.
- Liaise with other UN specialized agencies, local non-governmental organizations, representatives and officials in national governments, international organizations, national research institutes and relevant conventions.
- Prepare strategies on the environmental aspects of UN Environment’s regional work related to the management of Climate Change.
- Organize follow-up work in the region, including -technical review meetings to support policy development work and decision-making on important issues.
- Ensure the implementation of recommendation emanating from relevant reports.
- Lead the development and implementation of UNEP climate change SUP-programme in the region based on needs of countries and the region and within the scope of UNEP climate change strategy and programme of work.
- Develop, implement and evaluate assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation.
- Review relevant documents and reports.
- Identify problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions.
- Perform consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
Applicants must have-
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in environmental sciences, environmental management, International development or related field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with 3 additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Qualification or Certification in project management is desirable.
Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible experience in environment related project or programme management and / or coordination, or related area is required.
- Experience in implementing country-level or organizational environmental policies, guidelines and standards is desirable.
- Experience in developing and/or implementing international environmental programmes involving various partners, clients and social actors is desirable.
- Experience in implementing climate change environmental policies, guidelines and standards is an asset .
- Experience working in international, governmental or non governmental organizations is an added advantage.
- Working Knowledge of UN rules and regulations is an advantage.
- English and French are the two working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- For this post, fluency in English (both Oral and written) is required.
- Fluency of Arabic both Oral and written is also required. Knowledge of another UN language is advantage.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNEP.