Deadline: 18 March 2019
UN Women is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Programme Specialist – Women, Peace and Security in Kampala, Uganda. The duration of this post is 1 year.
The Programme Specialist will be responsible to provide support to inter-agency coordination, resource mobilization and partnership building, as well as advocacy and communication.
UN Women is the UN organization dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Programme Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Design and develop programme strategies in the area of women, peace and security:
- Design and formulate programme/ project proposals and initiatives.
- Draft inputs to country strategy documents, briefs, policy dialogue and other documents related to women, peace and security.
- Manage the implementation and management of the women, peace and security programme:
- Finalize the annual workplan and budget and manage their implementation.
- Manage the technical implementation of the programme/project; ensure synergies with other teams.
- Manage technical assistance and capacity development to project/programme partners:
- Manage the implementation of technical advice and guidance. Develop and implement technical tools, and initiatives
- Build and manage relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the women, peace and security programme; respond to any potential problems;
- Manage the monitoring and reporting of the programme/project:
- Manage the monitoring of programme/ project implementation and finances using results-based management tools.
- Oversee field missions and review reports on monitoring missions.
- Manage the people and financial resources of the women, peace and security programme:
- Manage the programme budget and draft financial reports.
- Supervise the Women, Peace and security and humanitarian team; Mentor and coach staff and conduct performance assessments.
- Oversee recruitment processes, as necessary.
- Build partnerships and support in developing resource mobilization strategies:
- Develop and implement partnerships and resource mobilization strategies.
- Finalize relevant documentation on donors and potential opportunities for resource mobilization.
- Contribute to inter-agency coordination on women, peace and security to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programmes with other partners in Uganda:
- Provide technical support to the Representative and Deputy Representative on inter-agency coordination related activities by attending meetings, events, and participating in groups and committees as needed.
- Coordinate with other UN agencies, government departments, donors and NGOs to ensure the projects’ capacity development programme is harmonized and aligned with other in-country efforts.
- Manage advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts:
- Develop and review background documents, briefs and presentations related to the women, peace and security;
- Represent UN Women in meetings and policy dialogues on issues related to women, peace and security as necessary.
Applicants must have:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women’s studies, international development, or a related field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with 2 additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible work experience at the national or international level in design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Technical experience in women, peace and security.
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset.
- Experience working in the UN System is an asset.
- Experience in leading/managing a team is an asset.
- Fluency in English required.
- Working knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
- Knowledge of Uganda and the Great Lakes region is an asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UN Women.