Deadline: 3 November 2016
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Programme Specialist in Abuja, Nigeria.
The Programme Specialist will support the development, planning and implementation of the education programmes in West Africa, with a focus on higher education, innovation and technology, quality assurance in higher education, the use of ICTs and the promotion of technical and vocational education and training (TVET).
UNESCO strives to build networks among nations that enable this kind of solidarity, by: mobilizing for education: so that every child, boy or girl, has access to quality education as a fundamental human right and as a prerequisite for human development.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Programme Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Provide intellectual, strategic and operational leadership and advise the Director on the most appropriate ways to integrate regional, sub-regional and country concerns in UNESCO’s strategies, policies, programs and projects, in particular in relation to the area of Higher Education and ICTs.
- Assess and lead analytical studies to identify regional demands, needs and interests in particular in the area of higher education and ICT use in education, undertake and commission research in cooperation with higher education and R&D institutions.
- Support and promote the design and development or utilization of existing solutions to meet regional demand, needs, interests and expectations from educational reforms, changes and innovations in the region.
- Share knowledge and best practices, update and disseminate information on trends across the sub-region.
- Build on experiences to promote the use of ICTs in strengthening the quality of education systems in the sub-region.
- Support the implementation of the Gender Transformation Leadership curriculum.
- Identify key internal and external stakeholders and work collaboratively with them. Build influential partnerships, maintain systematic contact with UNCT in West Africa and develop joint programs with other UN agencies or regional partners.
- Generate extra budgetary projects in line with regional policy priorities, including the identification, preparation and negotiation of projects and cooperation frameworks with regional and donor agencies.
Applicants must have-
- Master’s or equivalent degree in education, social science, science, engineering, economics or related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible experience in education both at national and international level, of which at least 4 years of experience/exposure in the field of higher education.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English or French, and a very good knowledge of the other language.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNESCO.