Deadline: 29 March 2019
UN Women is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Programme Specialist, Women, Peace and Security in Kabul, Afghanistan. The duration of this post is 1 year.
UN Women is the UN organization dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Programme Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Provide programme development advisory services on implementation of NAP1325 (WPS),
- Provide technical and coordination support to the development and provision of policy advice and substantive of the programme on NAP1325 implementation, including through organizing periodic consultations with key stakeholders, women leaders, human rights experts and UN partners to gather inputs on programme design, as necessary.
- Provide technical and coordination support to the management and oversight of the NAP1325 implementation components of the WPS programme portfolio:
- Monitor and report on progress annual workplan and budget for relevant WPS programme outcomes (NAP1325) and manage their implementation in line with Results Based Management Tools.
- Review the submission of implementing partners’ mandatory reports as required (MoFA, civil society organizations and relevant partners in localization).
- Provide technical assistance and capacity development support to partners working in area of WPS and the management of the people and financial resources of the WPS programme portfolio activities related to NAP1325 implementation:
- Build, manage, and expand relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the WPS programme, specifically by exploring innovative and best practice approaches to NAP1325 implementation, in close coordination with the WPS programme staff and WPS Programme Manager.
- Serve as an expert resource to partners on WPS.
- Build partnerships and support in developing resource mobilization strategies, particularly as it relates to NAP1325 implementation and localization:
- In close coordination with WPS Programme Manager, Country Representative and Deputy Country Representative develop and implement partnerships and resource mobilization strategies for WPS.
- Proactively identify potential donors/ partners and explore opportunities for resource mobilization.
- Provide technical and coordination support to the management of inter-agency coordination to achieve a coherent and aligned implementation of WPS activities:
- Coordinate with other UN agencies, government departments, donors and NGOs to ensure the projects’ capacity development programme is harmonized and aligned with the partners’ efforts.
- Lead advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Represent UN Women in meetings and policy dialogues on issues related to WPS as requested by the Country Representative and WPS Programme Manager.
- Provide inputs to the management of advocacy strategies and their implementation.
Applicants must have:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in international affairs, law, human rights, gender/women’s studies or a related field is required.
- First-level university degree in combination with 2 additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible experience working on women, peace and security, human rights, and/or gender equality and women’s empowerment issues, including at the international level, or related fields.
- Demonstrated technical experience in the area of Women, Peace and Security required.
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors required.
- Experience coordinating and technically supporting donor, non-governmental, and UN coordination mechanisms at the technical level is an asset.
- Experience working in the UN System and/or in Afghanistan is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of other UN official languages and/or Dari and/or Pashto language is an asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UN Women.