Deadline: 27 August 2019
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Project Manager in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The Project Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the project(s) and provides services to the different donors, partners and beneficiaries.
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure, and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Project Manager will perform the following functions:
- Stakeholder Management:
- Establish solid working relationship with the project board (Executive, Senior Users and Senior Suppliers), client and key stakeholders.
- Manage communications and ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover products.
- Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance).
- Delivery and Performance:
- Develop and maintain project plans.
- Implement approved project plans (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the project board.
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, environmental and economic aspects into project life cycle.
- Follow the Project Management Cycle Instructions and ensure that all organizational policy is complied with (Organizational Directives and Administrative Instructions).
- Manage budgets, cash flow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time.
- Understand and manage UNOPS overheads, allocable charges, and related corporate charges as they apply to the project.
- Understand the unique structures of the UN and budget appropriately for personnel.
- Knowledge Management:
- Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice.
- Actively interact with other PMs and the PM community to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the Knowledge System.
- Provide feedback to Practice Leads on policy, supporting guidance with an aim towards continuous improvement of UNOPS policies.
- Lead and motivate the project management team.
- Ensure that behavioural expectations of team members are established.
- Ensure that performance reviews are conducted.
- Identify outstanding staff and bring them to the attention of the Director.
- Have a thorough understanding of UNOPS personnel contract modalities (including ICA and Staff).
- Review relevant documents and reports; identify problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaise with relevant parties; ensure follow-up actions.
- Serve as the link for business continuity plans and workflows, by supporting in-depth planning, assessment and requirement analysis based on both the needs of clients, including organizing training, maintaining Standard Operating
- Procedure (SOPs) and Guidelines of the Division.
- Coordinate the review and analysis of issues and trends, and participates in the evaluation of opportunities for improvement.
- Organize and prepare written outputs for input into reporting mechanisms and reports.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced University Degree in Project Management, Business Administration, International Relations, Political/Security/Development Studies, or other relevant discipline.
- University Degree (bachelor’s degree / first level) with a combination of 2 additional years of relevant professional experience in Project Management, Business Administration, International Relations, Political/Security/Development Studies, or other relevant discipline, may be accepted in lieu of the advance university degree.
- Complete the UNOPS Project Management Foundation course (within 1 year after signing this TOR).
- Relevant combination of academic credentials and/or industry certifications and qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the university education.
- 5 years (or more based on academic credentials) of progressive experience in project development and management, with focus on monitoring, reporting, development and coordination in either public or private sector organizations.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit at UNOPS.