Deadline: 26 August 2019
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Project Manager in Banjul, Gambia.
The Project Manager will be responsible to produce/read the project initiation documents (PID), Legal Agreement and have a thorough understanding of the terms, conditions, and the respective roles and responsibilities of the partners/stakeholders to ensure the project(s) products are capable of meeting the business cases for both UNOPS and the client.
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure, and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Project Manager will perform the following functions:
- Stakeholder Management:
- Establish solid working relationship with the Project Governance structures, clients and key stakeholders.
- Manage communications and ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover products.
- Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance).
- Delivery and Performance:
- Develop and maintain project plans.
- Implement approved project plans (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the project board.
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, environmental and economic aspects into project life cycle.
- Manage the production of the required products, taking responsibility for overall progress and use of resources and initiating corrective ac on where necessary.
- Follow the Project Management Cycle Instructions and ensure that all organizational policy is complied with (Organizational Directives and Administrative Instructions).
- Manage budgets, cash ﬂow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on me.
- Understand and manage UNOPS overheads, allocable charges, and related corporate charges as they apply to the project.
- Understand the unique structures of the UN and budget appropriately for personnel.
- Manage and remain accountable for expenditures against the budget (based on accurate ﬁnancial reports).
- Knowledge Management:
- Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice.
- Actively interact with other PMs and the PM community to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the Knowledge System.
- Provide feedback to Practice Leads on policy, supporting guidance with an aim towards continuous improvement of UNOPS policies.
- Personnel Management:
- Lead and motivate the project management team.
- Ensure that behavioural expectations of team members are established.
- Ensure that performance reviews are conducted.
- Identify outstanding staﬀ and bring them to the attention of the OC Director.
Applicants must have:
- Master’s Degree in Urban Planning, Urban Geography, Civil Engineering, Architecture, International Relations, Public Financial Management/Investments, Political/Security/Development Studies, or other relevant discipline is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Urban Geography, Civil Engineering, Architecture, International Relations, Public Financial Management/Investments, Political/Security/Development Studies, or other relevant discipline with a combination of 2 additional years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 7 years progressively responsible experience in project management or project development with at least 2 years demonstrated experience in urban development, master planning or spatial planning in a development context is required.
- Demonstrated experience in management and administration of contracts is an asset.
- Experience leading a team of multi-disciplinary experts is desirable.
- Experience in institutional capacity building and/or technical assistance to governments is an asset.
- Previous experience working with UN Agencies is an asset.
- Previous experience working in Africa is desirable.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit at UNOPS.