Deadline: 5 December 2019
World Health Organization (WHO) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Project Officer in Kampala, Uganda. The duration of this post is 1 year.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
The primary role of WHO is to direct and coordinate international health within the United Nations system.
Key Job Responsibilities
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
The Project Officer will perform the following functions-
- Build capacity on various areas of economics of tobacco and taxation to government officials, academia, civil society and WHO country office staff in selected countries (especially in Cote d’Ivoire, Gabon, Gambia, Kenya, Rwanda and Togo) in the Region.
- Provide technical assistance on tobacco economics and taxation issues to government officials including Ministry of Finance technocrats and Ministry of Health officials from selected countries in the Region, regional and sub-regional intergovernmental organizations including the ECOWAS, UEMOA, EAC and the CRES.
- Engage with Ministers of Finance, Senior Finance and Tax experts at country level to secure support and adoption of tax policy proposals and proposals for sustainable funding for tobacco control and non-communicable diseases.
- Organize and facilitate multi-country meetings and workshops for experience sharing on issues of tobacco taxation and sustainable funding for tobacco control and Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs).
- Provide technical expertise in the prevention of illicit trade in tobacco products Advocate and promote partnership to strengthen South-to-South cooperation in the area of tobacco taxation including health and economic cost studies.
- Provide technical expertise in the process of engagement with Ministries of Finance.
- Develop tools for monitoring of progress in the implementation of tax policies in the regions and for monitoring of illicit trade in tobacco products.
- Provide regular progress reports on the tobacco tax related technical issues and activities.
- Perform any other related duties, as required.
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
Applicants must have:
- First University Degree in economics or public finance.
- At least 5 years of experience teaching or working in economics.
- Experience in working on tax policies in government or academia at a management level.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to work effectively in a team.
- Ability to motivate, guide and develop capacities at national level.
- Ability to carry out advocacy and communicate tobacco control messages.
- Ability to engage with high level government bureaucrats and secure high-level commitments for tobacco control.
- Ability to interact and engage at high political and policy level at global, regional and national level
- Expert knowledge of English.
How to Apply
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WHO.
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.