Deadline: 9 February 2020
The International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) is seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Regional Protected Areas Programme Coordinator in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso. The duration of this post is 12 months.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
The Regional Protected Areas Programme Coordinator will be responsible to influence, encourage & assist societies throughout the world to conserve the integrity & diversity of nature & to ensure that any use of natural resources is equitable & ecologically sustainable.
IUCN provides public, private and non-governmental organizations with the knowledge and tools that enable human progress, economic development and nature conservation to take place together.
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Regional Protected Areas Programme Coordinator will perform the following functions:
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
- Provide technical advice, guidance and support on Protected Areas to Project Offices and/or Country Offices and act as the focal point for protected areas related activities particularly with members, commissions, partners and other IUCN component programmes as required.
- Work closely with IUCN’s World Commission on Protected Areas (WCPA) to develop an integrated protected areas programme in the region.
- Work closely with other IUCN Commissions, Country offices, Project Offices and other thematic programmes to develop and maintain an appropriate project portfolio and funding for implementation of the Regional Programme.
- Work with colleagues in the region and headquarter on Protected Areas issues to ensure that they function as an integrated team, that there is coherence and consistency in the policy statements, and a high quality of technical and policy advice is given to field programmes and projects.
- Ensure that IUCN is adequately represented in relevant regional, international fora and negotiations on Protected Areas management in Central and West Africa;Develop and maintain appropriate collaboration and partnerships with relevant organizations on Protected Areas related issues of mutual interest and in particular ensure meaningful engagement of local IUCN members in the implementation of the RPAP.
- Lead fundraising for the Regional Protected Areas Programme through development of proposals, maintaining good relationships with donor and funding agencies so as to ensure the financial viability of the Programme.
- Oversee the development and implementation of annual budgets and work plans and provide a timely progress report of the programme financial and technical activities in accordance with IUCN’s practices.
- Participate in joint planning, assessment and communication activities of the Regional Programme committee and facilitate the development of joint programmes with members and partners.
- Capitalization and dissemination in the region of lessons learnt from our programmes and projects as well as those learnt from partners and colleagues.
- Supervise staff and lead capacity development on issues related to Protected Areas in component programmes.
- Facilitate group discussions on relevant protected areas emerging issues to position IUCN as a reference in the region.
Applicants must have:
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
- Candidates should possess an advanced degree in natural science related to Protected Areas conservation or related fields and at least 10 year’s of relevant work experience.
- Experience with project and programme development and management.
- Relevant working experience on issues related to Protected Areas conservation.
- Demonstrated fundraising, budgeting and programme planning ability.
- Demonstrated outstanding skills in network development and network administration and ability to achieve results through networking in cross-cultural situations.
- Lead and inspire multicultural and multidisciplinary teams.
- Exposure to and knowledge of major Protected Areas issues, both policy and field related.
- Demonstrated spoken and written fluency in French and English.
- Advanced computer processing skills.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.
For more information, please visit IUCN.