Deadline: 13 December 2019
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Senior Programme Management Officer in Nairobi, Kenya. The duration of this post is 1 year.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
Key Job Responsibilities
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
The Senior Programme Management Officer will perform the following functions-
- Advise the Executive Director on programmatic, policy and managerial issues by:
- Coordinate strategic prioritization of all communications addressed to the Executive Director, reviewing, commenting and suggesting courses of action, monitoring progress of preparation.
- Finalize documents reflecting UNEP policies.
- Monitor and identify emerging policy and managerial issues in consultation with UNEP senior management.
- Maintain liaison with UNEP Divisions and serve as contact between the Executive Director, the Executive Office, Senior Management and UNEP Regional Offices through:
- Establish and maintain effective liaison with senior management on policy as well as programmatic issues relevant to the Executive Director’s functions and responsibilities.
- Liaise closely with the Deputy Executive Director, Chief of Staff and the Executive Office team, keeping abreast of key developments on strategic issues.
- Ensure liaison with external partners by engaging with key officials at all levels outside the organization by:
- Advise and supporting the Executive Director with governments, delegations, senior UN officials, UN system organizations and non-governmental organizations.
- Facilitate effective communication and contacts between the Executive Director and these bodies/organizations.
- Bringing to the Executive Director, Deputy Executive Director and Chief of Staff’s attention, issues relevant to UNEP’s bilateral relations with governments and inter-agency cooperation.
- Oversee the coordination of the Executive Director’s meeting scheduling and communication through:
- Direct substantive support to the Executive Director’s meetings, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc. and coordinating follow-up actions.
- Coordinate the activities of UNEP-related participation in international conferences involving the Executive Director.
- Undertake ad hoc assignments at the request of the Executive Director.
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in political science, economics, law, environmental science or public administration.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 10 years of progressively responsible work experience in environment, programme management and sustainable development is required.
- Experience in international and multilateral relations is required.
- Experience in advising senior officials is required.
- Experience working in the executive office of UN head of entity or department is an advantage.
- Experience with the United Nations System is an advantage.
- Experience within the international environment governance system is required.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required.
- Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
How to Apply
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNEP.
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.