Deadline: 4 November 2019
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Shelter Project Officer in Kakuma, Kenya.
NRC provides assistance, protection and durable solutions to refugees and internally displaced persons worldwide.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Shelter Project Officer will perform the following functions-
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Implement delegated CC project portfolio according to plan of action.
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management.
- Ensure proper filing of documents.
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement.
- The Engineer, in close coordination with the Project Coordinators, Support Coordinator and Area Manager will develop procedures for the implementation of construction and rehabilitation works in accordance with sound engineering practice, applicable national/county building standards and regulations.
- Provide technical support and guidance in evaluation of tenders for construction/rehabilitation works.
- Review and input in to agreements with contractors.
- Oversees and supervises works by contractors and provide progress reports/certification as required.
- Make inputs in to donor reports in coordination with PCs for construction/rehabilitation activities under the respective projects.
- Ensure constructive engagement with other sectors/departments within NRC, local authorities, school administration and other partners including international, local and UN Organisations.
- Participate in and provide update during sectorial meetings and other coordination fora as may be requested by the Area Manager.
- Conduct assessments of potential sites for construction and rehabilitation works.
- Support the Project Coordinators in the drafting of new proposals and assessment reports.
- Actively promote the rights of refugees, IDPs and host community beneficiaries.
- Maintain overall overview of construction/rehabilitation projects in relation to achievements, procedures and timeframes
- Provide guidance to Programme staff in the planning of activities in relation to construction and rehabilitation works.
- Conduct field visits to check work progress in the field, provide technical feedback to contractors and share updates with PCs, Procurement and Management on project progress and/or any concerns from field/site visits.
- Contribute in the preparation of documentation in relation to construction/rehabilitation works for procurement and payment purposes.
Applicants must have:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in Civil/building and structural design, implementation and supervision of building and civil works.
- Design and supervision of the construction of WASH assets such as boreholes, earth pans, shallow wells, etc.
- Work experience in refugee or other displacement areas
- Degree or Higher National Diploma in Structural/ Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Construction Management and any other relevant technical education.
- Project management training.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD/ArchiCAD
- A member of relevant Engineering professional body Construction technical knowledge
- Nationality of Kenya.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit NRC