Deadline: 17 January 2020
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Safety Assistant in Bama, Nigeria.
The Safety Assistant will be responsible for supporting the day to day oversight of DRC staff movements and ensuring that key information relevant to staff safety and security is disseminated.
DRC fulfills its mandate by providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations – refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs) and host communities in the conflict areas of the world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Safety Assistant will perform the following functions-
- Staff movement oversight and support:
- Travel Security Clearances: Prior to any movement complete all security briefings for staff traveling to high-risk field locations.
- Ensure that established movement tracking protocols are adhered to by both the Safety Unit and all DRC staff.
- Responsible for the submission of the Travel Request to INSO as per the Humanitarian Staff Movement Protocol.
- Field movement tracking: Coordinate with logistics staff when directed to support Field level movement oversight and support.
- Ensure that appropriate access controls are in place for all DRC facilities.
- Conduct site assessments and advise on mitigation measures, as required.
- Security incidents and data management:
- SMS Advisories: Draft and disseminate as required SMS alert advisories for DRC staff in the Safety Forum WhatsApp group when relevant and significant security incidents occur or elevated threat levels are reported.
- Email Advisories: Draft and disseminate detailed email advisories for DRC staff when relevant and significant security incidents occur or elevated threat levels are reported.
- Administrative and Operational support:
- Guard force management: Management of the guard force through ensuring standards of readiness is maintained, guard protocols adhered to and coordination with the guard force supervisors is routinely conducted.
- Ensure that guard payments and other administrative matters that have a direct impact on guard force readiness are completed in a timely manner.
- Ensure that the contracted guard force maintains a high standard of guarding for all DRC offices and residences, and when required take corrective action in coordination with the Guard force management.
- Asset management: Maintain the Safety Unit’s current asset register and oversight on all assets that are both utilized and stored (Thuraya phones, radio, etc). Coordinate with the DRC Logistics and Procurement department to ensure that the overall DRC asset register reflects the Safety Unit’s current asset register.
- Daily-Weekly and Monthly Security Briefing: Responsible for compiling daily, weekly and monthly reports for Safety Unit.
- Staff briefings: Provide DRC staff with current contextual briefings.
- Support to International Visitors:
- Visitor arrival packet compilation: Compile a current visitor arrival packet as directed. Responsible for maintaining the international visitor orientation record.
- Visitor briefings and orientation: Conducting visitor briefings and orientation on DRC safety systems, and briefing on emergency procedures, and safe rooms etc.
- Carry out any additional responsibilities and tasks as assigned by the Safety Advisor.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
Applicants must have:
- Tertiary education (Bachelor minimum) in Security Operations, Communication, Criminology, Risk Management, Public Administration or related field.
- 4-years’ experience working with NGOs, other international agencies or multinational business.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Stable, moral and robust character and a good team-player.
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor.
- Proven commitment to accountability practices.
- Ability to comprehend security-related subjects as threats/risk management, security management, personal and organizational security awareness.
- Previous services with any of the Nigerian Disciplined forces (police, Army, NSCDC etc.) will be the desired advantage, Certificate of discharge or recommendation from the immediate supervisor will be required as proof.
- Demonstrative experience in INGO/NGO or UN field (operations) with experience of safety and security.
- Nationality of Nigeria.
How to Apply
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
Applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English through online process.
For more information, please visit DRC.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.