Deadline: 3 June 2019
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Senior Social Development Specialist in Antananarivo, Madagascar. The duration of this post 3 years.
The Senior Social Development Specialist will be responsible to provide support in meeting the Bank’s expanding Environmental and Social Framework (ESF) and social safeguards agenda and promote the social sustainability of its investments.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Senior Social Development Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Work under the coordination of the regional focal point for ESF and social safeguards providing oversight and quality assurance on the project portfolio.
- This will include direct operational support to high risk and complex operations.
- Participate in the regional roll-out of the ESF and its implementation within the region and with clients in borrower countries.
- Undertake policy dialogue with clients on social sustainability and safeguards issues and advise counterparts on technical options for social development, particularly involuntary resettlement, Indigenous Peoples, labor issues, mitigation plans and institutional development strategies.
- Engage actively and regularly with country unit management leadership and task teams and identify business opportunities for social development in consultation with clients and country units.
- Participate in cross-practice teams responsible for the preparation of policy notes, Systematic Country Diagnostics, Country Partnership Frameworks, sector studies, and research and policy development activities on the full range of social development topics.
- Advise and participate in project teams to help develop operational designs and mechanisms to assess social opportunities, impacts, constraints and risks related to Bank supported operations; develop and evaluate proposed technical solutions and assist in the preparation of project documentation.
- Handle complex technical, institutional and program implementation issues regarding social risk management and social development, and lead the related dialogue with counterparts.
- Participate and play a leading role in portfolio reviews on selected social safeguards/ESF and social development topics.
- Lead or participate in analytical studies, support other analytical work on different social development topics, and stay abreast of developments in social development globally and on cross-cutting issues.
- Manage projects mapped to the regional Social Development team.
- Engage in the Bank-wide professional community of staff in social development and social standards/safeguards by participating in thematic groups, exchanging best practices, and drafting technical notes.
- Help develop sustainable local and national consultation mechanisms and strategies.
- Supervise the work of consultants and technical specialists to ensure consistency and conformity to Bank standards.
Applicants must have-
- Master’s degree or PhD in social sciences (anthropology, sociology, political economy, social development, etc.).
- Minimum 8 years of professional experience in social sustainability, social standards/safeguards and/or social development (voice and participation, gender, community-driven development, citizen engagement).
- Knowledge and experience in addressing issues covered by the World Bank’s ESF and social safeguards policies or similar policies in other international finance institutions in complex and challenging settings, and across practices.
- Experience in areas of social inclusion such as gender; conflict, fragility, and violence; and disability.
- Strong operational (task management) and analytical skills and demonstrated ability to translate analytical work into policy advice and actionable, practical recommendations.
- Ability to present complex social development and ESF/safeguards issues to task teams and Bank audiences, and to engage effectively with government counterparts, the private sector, project beneficiaries and civil society.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, problem-solving, and team skills, and ability to think innovatively and strategically to find balanced solutions to complex development problems, with a strong client focus.
- Acting with integrity at all times to build trust and to create an enabling work environment, whether as team leader or team member.
- Very high level of energy, initiative and self-motivation; willingness to travel and work under challenging circumstances.
- Ability to work across practices, work in cross-thematic teams, foster team work, and mentor junior staff.
- Excellent oral and writing skills. Fluency and ability to write well in English and French is essential.
- Fluency in Portuguese is highly desirable.
- Nationality of Madagascar.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.