Deadline: 9 July 2019
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Senior Social Development Specialist in Washington, DC, United States. The duration of this post 3 years.
The Senior Social Development Specialist will support both the operations related to community driven development and Fragility, Conflict and Violence.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Senior Social Development Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Develop technical solutions and lead/manage the preparation and implementation of community driven development projects in fragile, conflict and violence context.
- Lead and participate in project teams to develop operational designs and mechanisms including social risk management.
- Advise task teams and counterparts on technical options for social development programs and operations, on the full range of social development topics, including social cohesion, citizen engagement, social inclusion, gender and youth, with a particular focus on lagging regions, access to services, community-based service delivery, social accountability mechanisms, etc.
- Help the unit develop, pilot and scale disruptive, innovative, technology-enabled solutions to enhance effectiveness in fragile and conflict-affected settings.
- Play a key role in implementing the Unit’s sector strategy, through advising the Practice Manager, engaging clients and supporting colleagues.
- Support Senior and Lead Specialists in handling complex technical, institutional and program implementation issues regarding social development at the operational level, and leads the related dialogue with counterparts.
- Contribute to develop new areas of focus and operational business around social development issues, including on social cohesion, social inclusion, gender, youth, decentralization/community development as well as issues that emerge in the context of fragile regions.
- Contribute to sector policy; makes recommendations on strategies and policy options for member governments.
- Participate in cross-practice teams responsible for the preparation of policy notes, Systematic Country Diagnostics, Country Partnership Frameworks, sector studies, and research and policy development activities on the full range of social development topics.
- Work independently under the general direction of the Practice Manager, seeking guidance on complex projects/issues from Lead Specialists; guides and mentors more junior staff.
- Lead missions and supervises Bank-financed projects as a technical expert and/or Task Team Leader; interacts with clients at the operational and policy level.
- Supervise the work of consultants and technical specialists to ensure consistency and conformity to Bank operational policies.
- Contribute to the Unit’s analytical work; generate “think pieces” and “best practice” papers; leads the development and implementation of proposals for analytical and advisory work.
- Employs appropriate methodologies for handling simple and complex procurement tasks and/or issues.
- Contribute to knowledge sharing, dissemination and awareness raising activities with both Bank staff and clients.
- Support and actively participate to the Bank-wide professional community of staff engaged in social development by participating in thematic groups, exchanging best practices, and drafting technical notes.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
Applicants must have-
- Phd or Master’s degree with 8 year’s experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related social science (e.g., Sociology, Anthropology, Economics, Political Science)
- Demonstrated skills and experience in the following areas is required: community driven development and fragility, conflict and violence; Additionally, skills and experience in one or more of the following is desirable: social inclusion, citizen engagement, gender, youth.
- Demonstrated skills and direct work experience with at least one or more of the following: community development, public consultations; participatory budgeting; participatory rural and urban appraisal; participatory research methods (including observation, surveys); participatory monitoring and evaluation; grievance redress mechanisms; or youth mobilization.
- Experience working in fragile and conflict-affected environments is required
- Experience in applying emerging and disruptive technologies and innovations to development engagements is highly desirable.
- Project leadership and management experience with World Bank IDA and/or IBRD lending operations or comparable project management experience with other large-scale development institutions is highly desirable.
- Proven capacity to translate analytical work into policy advice and operational, actionable, recommendations.
- Proven capacity to work with a wide range of stakeholders, international organizations, development agencies, government counterparts, beneficiaries of Bank projects, and civil society organizations.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams and multicultural environments.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in French and English; knowledge of local language would be an advantage.
- Willingness to travel regularly in Africa, including in areas affected by fragility.
How to Apply
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.