Deadline: 1 September 2019
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Social Development Specialist in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The duration of this post 3 years.
The Social Development Specialist will be responsible to support social development through social safeguards and the new Environment and Social Framework work in the CMU.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Social Development Specialist will perform the following functions:
- Serve as a Social Development Specialist, advising task teams and clients on the Bank’s Environmental and Social Standards and supporting the conceptualization of approaches to mitigate social risk, and maximize social benefits through the preparation and supervision of lending operations across sectors.
- Work under the general direction of the Practice Manager, LCR social development team (GSU04), and in collaboration with the Regional Social Safeguards Coordinator [RSC] and the focal point for Argentina CMU in supporting country Social Safeguards in the Social Risk Management and Quality Assurance of the Regional Social Safeguards/Environment and Social Framework (ESF) Project Portfolio.
- Provide guidance to Clients on social risk management so that not only the Bank’s social risk management standards are fully complied with, but that, in addition, the impact and sustainability of Bank-supported operations are enhanced.
- Provide direct operational support to Task Teams during preparation and implementation on all aspects related to social risk management.
- Ensure that, at any time, the relevant reporting systems are updated with high quality information to allow pro-active monitoring, management, and reporting of social risk across the portfolio.
- Participate in cross-practice teams responsible for the preparation of policy notes, sector studies, and research and policy development activities on the full range of social development topics.
- Advise on the social sustainability of the portfolio, including gender, beneficiary feedback and safeguards issues, etc.
- Provide technical, institutional and program implementation support to solve issues regarding Social Development and lead the pertinent dialogue with counterparts.
- Participate in Regional efforts in the rolling-out of the ESF, and related capacity building for Bank Social Development and Environment Specialists and similar undertakings involving the Client.
- Engage in policy dialogue with clients on social risk, social inclusion, and social sustainability issues, ranging from upstream inputs into country Systematic Country Diagnostics and Country Partnership Frameworks, to advising counterparts on related policies or on risks and opportunities in relation to Bank-supported operations.
- Support other Social Specialists in handling complex technical, institutional and program implementation issues regarding social development.
- Conduct portfolio reviews on selected social risk and social development issues, as needed.
- Prepare management briefs of relevant issues social safeguards issues.
Applicants must have:
- Master’s degree with 5 year’s experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related social science (e.g., Sociology, Anthropology, Economics, Political Science, etc.).
- Demonstrated analytical capacity, through written work and dialogue, of in-depth knowledge of social issues, including social assessment and consultation/participation methodologies, working with vulnerable groups, resettlement, and Indigenous Peoples.
- Relevant experience in social development issues in the region, preferably with prior experience in Argentina and Uruguay.
- Relevant experience with operations addressing critical social development issues (social inclusion, crime and violence prevention, gender equity, social resilience in face of climate change, etc.).
- Proven capacity to translate analytical work into policy advice and operational, actionable, recommendations.
- Working knowledge of World Bank’s operations including ESF.
- Ability to present complex Social Development and safeguards issues to task teams and Bank audiences, and to engage effectively with government counterparts, the private sector, project beneficiaries and civil society.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving, and team skills, and ability to think innovatively and strategically to find balanced solutions to complex development problems, with a strong client focus.
- Acting with integrity at all times to build trust and to create an enabling work environment, whether as team leader or team member.
- Excellent Oral and written fluency in Spanish and English.
- Strong oral and written presentation skills in English and Spanish.
- Excellent communicator, creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Willingness to travel regularly in the region.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.