Deadline: 14 September 2019
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Social Officer in Harare, Zimbabwe.
The Social Officer is responsible to implement the Environment and Social Management Framework (ESMF) and ensure that all Project activities are aligned with World Bank Environmental and Social Standards, or other relevant guidance, as outlined in the ESMF.
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure, and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Social Officer will perform the following functions:
- Technical support
- Assist in rolling out the Environmental and Social Management Framework in consultation with the World Bank and implementing partners.
- Assist in monitoring and reporting on social screening processes of site-specific activities as conducted by implementing partners and the UNOPS Community Infrastructure Component.
- Monitor and report on social indicators in the ESMF.
- Conduct field supervisory and data collection missions.
- Ensure that appropriate social instruments and tools are applied by all implementing partners and the UNOPS Community Infrastructure Component – as set out on the ESMF.
- Assist in compiling data and monitoring of the Project Grievance Redress Mechanisms (GRM).
- Monitor the implementation of the Stakeholder Engagement Plan (SEP) and keep the plan updated.
- Ensure that appropriate social mitigation measures are proposed and met.
- Assist in triggering and overseeing the implementation of social correction measures by implementing partners and the UNOPS Community Infrastructure Component.
- Undertake follow-up monitoring to ensure that proposed social mitigation measures are implemented according to the ESMF and site-specific ESMPs.
- Operations and Implementation
- Identify challenges, opportunities, priorities and needs for the implementation of the ESMF.
- Assist in supervising consultancy works and review and assess products/services provided by consultants and experts counterparts and notify/advise the Project Manager on quality, and recommend appropriate actions to be taken for improvement as per the social principles and guidelines.
- Prepare biannual reports to be submitted to the World Bank and other stakeholders with a special view to capturing lessons learned and best practices for improving the performance of the Project and maintaining social standards – as per outline provided in the ESMF.
- Support the undertaking of monitoring and evaluation missions, as defined in the ESMF, to ensure capturing of all risks and impacts, as well as ensure that mitigation measures are implemented.
Applicants must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Science or related field with a combination of 2 additional years of relevant professional experience is required.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in related field will be an added advantage.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience required in social impact mitigation and gender equality or related field is required.
- 1 year experience in ms office suite is required.
- Work experience with social safeguards is desired.
- Excellent command of English language (oral and written).
- Nationality of Zimbabwe.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit at UNOPS.