Deadline: 22 January 2022
The African Development Bank (AfDB) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Senior Environmental & Social Safeguards & Compliance Officer in Pretoria, South Africa.
AfDB’s mission is to spur sustainable economic development and social progress in its regional member countries (RMCs), thus contributing to poverty reduction.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Senior Environmental & Social Safeguards & Compliance Officer will perform the following functions-
- Provide E&S support to the Bank-funded projects and programmes, for both private and public sectors.
- Carry out the mandatory environmental and social due diligence on Bank operations during the identification, preparation, appraisal, implementation support including field visits, and project completion stages.
- Prepare, archive, update when as appropriate, the categorization memorandum (CM) and the environmental and social compliance note (ESCON) of operations.
- Assist Borrowers/Clients for the finalization of the Terms of Reference (ToRs) for the preparation of Environmental and Social Assessment (ESA) documentation (SESA, ESIA, ESMS, RAP, ES Audit, Process Framework, Stakeholder Engagement Plan, Hazard and Risk Assessment, etc.) to ensure compliance with the ISS.
- Review the ESA documentation submitted by the Borrowers/Clients as of the ISS and other Bank policies’ requirements.
- Draft the technical inputs of the E&S sections in Project Concept Notes (PCNs), Project Appraisal Reports (PARs), Project Completion Reports (PCRs) and any other project related report as required.
Applicant must have:
- Master’s Degree in Environmental sciences/management (Environmental management, Environmental engineering, Natural Resource Management, Geography, Biology, Ecotoxicology, Agricultural sciences, etc.) and an additional training in environmental assessment.
- Minimum 5 year’s relevant professional experience in Environmental and Social Assessment (ESA), namely in preparing and implementing the ESA instruments (SESA, ESIA, ESMF, ESMS, RAP, ES Audit, Hazard and Risk Assessment, lifecycle analysis, emergency response plans, etc.).
- Demonstrable knowledge and practice of the environmental and social safeguards policies/standards, procedures, and practices of comparator Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) supporting the Regional Member Countries.
- Good knowledge of the environmental and social issues facing Regional Member Countries (RMCs).
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in ‘’Portuguese and French’’ or ‘’Portuguese and English’’, preferably with a good working knowledge of the other language.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit applications through online process.
For more information, visit AfDB.