Deadline: 23 August 2020
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Trade Specialist in Mbabane, Swaziland.
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Trade Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Conduct analysis related to the relationship between trade policies on nutrition outcomes, and of nutrition policies on market and trade development, including desk review of existing trade laws and policies aimed at mainstreaming nutrition and existing relevant documents on trade and nutrition, analysis of trends in imports and exports of selected food products, market prices, tariff schedules, local taxes, non-tariff measures like labelling and SPS requirements as well as the incidence of malnutrition and non-communicable diseases (NCDs) due to low quality foods as well as imports/exports.
- Recommend objective qualitative and quantitative indicators to track and assess the impact of traded commodities on nutritional outcomes, i.e. malnutrition, obesity and other NCDs.
- Recommend appropriate short and medium-term trade-related actions, measures, etc. to mitigate the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on food trade and markets in consultation with the FAO country office.
- Provide an annotated outline of proposed revised trade policies/strategies/regulations/standards – to promote healthy diets and positive nutritional outcomes, identify gaps and areas for improvement, design training programmes, analyse policy choices and unintended consequences, review best practices and identify nutrition-sensitive interventions and investments.
- Incorporate findings, conclusions and recommendations in the final report.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced University Degree in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Business Administration, Agri-Business, Public Policy, Agricultural Sciences or related field.
- 3 year’s of relevant experience with trade policy analysis, inter-governmental coordination on trade and markets issues and research institutions or international organizations.
- Ability to work independently, strong analytical skills and problem-solving.
- Computer literacy with Word, PowerPoint and basic spreadsheets (Excel).
- Excellent communication (both written and oral) and presentation skills in English and Siswati.
- Working knowledge of English.
- Nationality of Eswatin.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit applications through online process.
For more information, visit FAO.