Deadline: 29 April 2021
World Health Organisations (WHO) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Unit Head in Geneva, Switzerland. The duration of this post is 1 year.
The primary role of WHO is to direct and coordinate international health within the United Nations system.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Unit Head will perform the following functions:
- Generic Duties:
- Provide technical leadership, coordination and managerial support within the Department/Programme, in the Unit of Biorisks and Health Security Protection ensuring that activities in this area are carried out efficiently and effectively, including deliberate events detection, risk assessment, investigation and capacity strengthening through partnerships as well as Infectious hazards foresight.
- Develop and propose technical health policies and strategies for implementation through collaboration with Regional and Country Offices and provides advice in developing further the Biorisks and Health Security Protection for strengthening and improving technical capacity of target clienteles, including deliberate event preparedness and response activities, encourage information-sharing and lessons learning in a proactive manner.
- Oversee a unit of technical teams specialized in various domains within their area of expertise and facilitates the efficient flow of team synergies within the department and beyond.
- Manage the programme area in delivering its objectives through efficient managing a small team of technical staff, financial resources and effective work planning to optimize the program’s deliverables in line with the mandate of the Organization.
- Specific duties:
- Oversee WHO Laboratory biosafety and biosecurity program, In-house coordinator with external laboratory experts, oversee Smallpox repository inspections.
- Manage Health and Security Sector Interface, develop and oversees the WHO deliberate event task force, oversee technical aspects of biological preparedness and response across WHO.
Applicant must have
- University Degree in medicine, public health, chemistry or biology, studies in (business) management or international affairs, or diplomacy.
- Minimum 10 year’s professional experience in the management of bio risks or epidemics and Health Security Interface, including experience in the area of health policies and strategies.
- Demonstrate experience managing human and financial resources.
- Demonstrate experience at the international level.
- Track record and experience of supervision of staff.
- Experience in project management.
- Experience working with legal international instruments and institutions in the context of security and emergency systems.
- Experience of work in international organizations.
- Concrete skills in the planning and coordination of multidisciplinary public health programmes, which may include the implementation of a public health/disease control programmes.
- Strong skills in the area of developing and establishing polices and strategies.
- Excellent skills and ability in managing diverse teams and financial resources.
- Good skills in mobilizing resources.
- Ability to engage and communicate effectively and diplomatically with external partners including Ministries of Health, Donor institutions, Civil Society and other stakeholders.
- Commitment to collaborate effectively with other key partners in the Health Subject area.
- Expert knowledge of English.
- Intermediate knowledge of French and UN Language.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit applications through online process.
For more information, visit WHO.