Deadline: 31 August 2018
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Human Rights Officer in Geneva, Switzerland.
UNEP’s mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Human Rights Officer will perform the following functions-
- Design, implement and report on a civic space programme for more effective human rights protection and promotion, including through engagement with civil society, in line with the plans and strategies of the Thematic Engagement, Special Procedures and Right to Development Division of OHCHR.
- Contribute to the supervision, support and appraisal of the Civic Space Unit (CSU) staff, in addition to the Unit’s planning, evaluation, and programme and budget management.
- Review, monitor and evaluate activities relating to the implementation of international human rights instruments, including recommendations of treaty bodies and mechanisms of the Human Rights Council.
- Work with UN and non-governmental programmes in the country/region to integrate human rights, including their gender dimensions in their programs; helps design and implements the human rights program and designs the organization and focus of the evaluation.
- Ensure up-to-date information regarding substantive matters in the field of human rights and makes recommendations on actions to take.
Applicants must have-
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in law, political science, international relations, social sciences or related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with 2 additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible experience in human rights, political affairs, international relations, law or related area.
- Experience in programme management is desirable.
- Experience in civic space work is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- For the post advertised, fluency in English is required.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNEP.