Deadline: 20 September 2020
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Economist in Washington, DC, United States. The duration of this post is 3 years.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Economist will perform the following functions-
- Participate and lead analytical work on poverty, gender, labor markets, and equity, including diagnostics of mobility, vulnerability, multi-dimensional poverty, and agency and voice Support the development of statistical systems through close collaboration with National Statistical Offices and the implementation of Bank-financed statistical projects.
- Provide technical assistance to survey data collection (phone surveys, household surveys) and statistical modernization.
- Lead analytical work on fiscal incidence and its welfare consequences (CEQ Commitment to Equity).
- Lead the overall micro-monitoring effort and any poverty-related policy and programmatic interactions with internal and external clients (e.g development partners).
- Work closely with other global practices to enhance the poverty and shared prosperity focus of the country program.
- Collaborate with operational teams on aspects of targeting and enhancing operational efficiency through improved monitoring.
- Play an active role in the engagement (including technical assistance, capacity building and policy dialogue) with government officials and development partners, encouraging them to adopt an evidence-based approach to policy making.
- Contribute to the global knowledge base of the poverty practice by participating in and contributing to the work of at least one of the four thematic lines.
Applicants must have:
- Master’s Degree in economics, public policy, statistics or other related field, with a strong quantitative background.
- 5 year’s of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in micro-econometrics and statistical modeling using STATA or R, designing, implementing household surveys & performing complex econometric analysis independently.
- Ability to collaborate effectively within teams, and to listen and integrate ideas from diverse sources, governments, humanitarian agencies, NGOs and donors, while being respectful and sensitive to cultural, political and gender issues.
- Experience with primary data collection and policy analysis.
- Experience in collaborating with statistical agencies, statistical capacity building and statistical modernization.
- Ability to work with staff from all levels and to mentor, coach and motivate more junior staff and consultants.
- Fluency in English with an ability to write comprehensively and convincingly.
- Fluency in French is highly desired.
- Fluency in Arabic is a plus but not a necessity.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit WBG.