Deadline: 5 February 2021
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Economist in Washington, DC, United States. The duration of this post is 3 years.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Economist will perform the following functions-
- Contribute to the development and dissemination of new analytical frameworks and approaches in the core areas of ETIMT expertise.
- Conduct economic analysis and research to help prepare analytical and diagnostic products to identify constraints to competition, show the benefits of well-functioning markets, and design policy/regulatory solutions tailored to the specific country context.
- Develop knowledge pieces to understand market distortions and policy constraints affecting value chains across sectors, with an emphasis on the role of the State in markets.
- Mainstreaming broader micro-economic analysis of market dynamics in standard country economic analysis frameworks as well as indicators and statistics on the status of markets, value chains and disruptive technologies at the economy and industry level.
- Perform descriptive and econometric analysis, including the application of advanced statistical/econometric techniques.
- Produce markets, value chains and sector deep-dive assessments of key markets, with actionable recommendations that support reforms.
- Contribute to developing knowledge tools to support markets, industry and sectors analysis for Country Private Sector Diagnostics (CPSDs)Contribute to a variety of operational tasks, e.g. technical analyses, design of technical assistance interventions, advisory services and lending operations, participation in loan negotiations, in projects with Markets and Technology components across regions based on client demand.
- Contribute to collaborative partnerships with internal and external and partners.
- Play an active role as member of ETIMT core team and ensure optimal client response, knowledge generation and dissemination of best practice on competition policies across countries and regions.
- Contribute to development of new datasets, survey instruments and market-level quantitative analysis, including cleaning and organizing the data.
Applicants must have:
- Degree in economics or related field.
- Master’s Degree should have a minimum of 5 year’s of relevant experience.
- Graduate studies in applied microeconomics, industrial organization, economic regulation and/or competition economics are a plus.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, including demonstrated knowledge of econometrics, applied statistics, and management of large data bases.
- Excellent analytical skills and experience in conducting sectoral and market competition assessments and understanding of how related policies, regulations and other government interventions in markets shape market outcomes, as evidenced by policy notes, reports and client references.
- Experience as a practitioner in the economic analysis of markets, micro structural reform policies or assessment of industry dynamics is a plus.
- Public and private sector experience is a plus.
- Exposure to private sector development and structural micro economic reform agendas to achieve development goals.
- Strong organizational, research, and oral presentation, and written skills.
- Proven ability to work in a team, collaborate effectively, including in an intercultural environment.
- Work independently with great attention to detail and analytical rigor, seeking guidance on complex projects/issues from senior economists and specialists.
- Computer skills Strong STATA skills (other packages such as R, Python, are a plus), and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word).
- Additional language skills would be a plus (Spanish, French or Portuguese).
- Field experience in developing countries a plus.
- Flexibility, and ability to work under pressure of tight deadlines and a rapidly evolving environment and in multiple projects with diverse teams.
- Ability to supervise consultants, and to coordinate projects, missions and tasks.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit WBG.