Deadline: 31 July 2021
United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Emergency Specialist in New York, United States.
UNICEF works for a world in which every child has a fair chance in life.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Emergency Specialist will perform th efollowing functions:
- Serve as focal point for the analysis and review of emergency responses in an allocation of regions, supporting UNICEF’s HQ support to preparedness and humanitarian response to complex emergencies, including natural disasters, conflicts, health emergencies, etc.
- Keep supervisor informed of all critical situations and decisions for action.
- Complex emergency countries enter into periods of peak crisis, assist supervisor to coordinate HQ colleagues, maintaining close contact with country office on all matters of security, operations, and programmes.
With OPSCEN, PD, PPD, other HQ Divisions and sister UN agencies, monitor potential non-emergency countries in assigned regions and maintain contact with countries at critical stages identifying strategies for preparedness before a crisis occurs.
- Conduct mission to potential emergencies when requested.
- Prepare regular updates on the situation in all complex emergencies in assigned countries for the Executive Director, Senior Staff and other Divisions in a timely and accurate manner.
- Serve as back-up to Supervisor and other Emergency Specialists in his/her absence.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced university Degree in social sciences, international health/development or related technical field relevant to UNICEF programmes.
- Training in emergency response desirable.
- At least 8 year’s progressively responsible work experience at the International level in developing countries is required knowledge and field experience of UNICEF programmes and prior emergency response experience with UNICEF especially in complex humanitarian environment is required.
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required.
- Working knowledge of other UN languages is a strong asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit applications through online process.
For more information, visit UNICEF.