Deadline: 26 June 2016
UN Women is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Gender and Humanitarian Advisor in New York, United States. The duration of this post is 1 year.
The Gender and Humanitarian Advisor will be responsible for UN Women’s engagement in humanitarian action.
UN Women is the UN organization dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Gender and Humanitarian Advisor will perform the following functions-
- Lead and guide implementation of UN Women’s Humanitarian Strategy based on the Strategic Plan (SP), in partnership with UN system humanitarian actors and in support of advancing integration of gender equality and women’s empowerment priorities into humanitarian action.
- Manage UN Women’s Humanitarian Unit and ensure its effective functioning.
- Guide field offices on UN Women’s role and objectives in the humanitarian area.
- Proactively assess trends and identify emerging issues in humanitarian area at the national, regional or international level that are of relevance to UN Women’s mandate.
- Participate and lead UN Women’s contribution to the existing inter-agency coordination mechanisms and enhance coherence of UN and humanitarian system in promoting gender equality in humanitarian action.
- Participate and provide substantive support to relevant inter-agency and inter-governmental forums, notably the IASC, the GenCap Steering Committee, the IASC Gender Reference Group on Gender, donor conferences and others.
- Contribute to strategic thinking and policy decisions on mainstreaming gender into humanitarian action and influence agenda and priority setting in relevant UN and humanitarian system-wide inter-agency tasks forces.
- Engage in policy debates relevant to gender and humanitarian action, including participation in global knowledge events and support formulation of corporate policy guidance and practice notes.
- Advocate on behalf of UN Women and its mandate to help raise awareness and stimulate action to advance gender equality and women’s rights within humanitarian context and form strategic partnerships with government, UN agencies, NGOs, academia, media and the private sector.
- Provide support to ensure that UN humanitarian action is done in a gender-responsive manner, and within agreed regional and international frameworks to promote and protect gender equality, as needed.
- Initiate and manage the process of collecting and disseminating best practices on gender equality programming in humanitarian action and contribute to UN Women’s knowledge management efforts.
Applicants must have-
- Master degree (or equivalent) in development-related disciplines, gender issues, public policy or other social science fields.
- Minimum 10 years of field and policy experience in management and humanitarian programming, including in conflict, post-conflict and natural disasters’ settings and gender equality.
- Programme and policy analysis, strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation and field experience in developing country contexts.
- Substantive and technical experience in inter-agency humanitarian coordination, experience working with governments, donors and civil society organizations internationally and in the field.
- Written and oral proficiency in English is required.
- Knowledge of another UN working language is an asset.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UN Women.