Deadline: 2 June 2016
Open Society Foundations (OSF) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Legal Officer in New York, United States.
The Legal Officer will provide effective and constructive feedback to lawyers from a wide variety of national systems, cultures, and levels of experience.
OSF works to build vibrant and tolerant societies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Legal Officer will perform the following functions-
- Edit draft pleadings and provide detailed feedback, monitor deadlines, and negotiate timelines in the drafting process.
- Liaise with staff lawyers and outside lawyers to ensure that our casework is conducted to a high standard and in accordance with professional rules.
- Manage our systems for the periodic review of individual cases, and for reporting to senior management and the Justice Initiative board on our litigation.
- Manage the research and development function that feeds into our litigation, oversee the assignment of work to fellows and to pro bono and law clinics, contribute to the development of new legal arguments and new approaches to strategic litigation.
- Monitor and track the legal advice that Justice Initiative lawyers provide to OSF program and grantees on strategic litigation.
- Organize and facilitate litigation meetings and workshops around the world.
- Manage our procedures for knowledge management and for sharing information with our partner lawyers.
Applicants must have-
- Advanced degree in law and bar membership (or equivalent additional experience).
- 7 -10 years of progressively responsible experience in a situation relevant to the duties of this role.
- Experience making administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive and confidential issues.
- Experience working in an NGO, foundation or social enterprise desired.
- Proficiency in using data management and visualization platforms and databases (e.g. Salesforce, NetSuite, etc.), with the ability to quickly learn new software systems.
- Knowledge of international human rights is desirable.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their resume and cover letter through online process.
For more information, please visit OSF.