Deadline: 11 October 2019
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of Senior Climate Change Specialist in Washington, DC, United States. The duration of this post is 2 years.
The Senior Climate Change and Urban Specialist will have a key role in the implementation of the Global Environment Facility (GEF) Sustainable Cities Program initiated in GEF-6 and expanded in the GEF-7 replenishment and beyond, including in the delivery of the Global Platform on Sustainable Cities (GPSC).
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Senior Climate Change Specialist will perform the following functions:
- Serve as the focal point in the Secretariat in the engagement with sustainable cities expert networks and be responsible for delivery of the GEF-7 Sustainable Cities Impact Program.
- Engage with the Global Platform on Sustainable Cities (GPSC), in particular for the areas of integrated sustainable urban planning, clean energy, energy efficiency, sustainable transportation and electric mobility, as well as for the application of methodologies for the estimation of the GHG emission reduction outcomes.
- Participate in one or several Regional Teams and contribute in the continued implementation of the GEF Programs Unit (GPU) business model including country resource programming, updates, and adjustments, liaising as necessary with GEF Agencies and Countries.
- Support the management of the GEF’s portfolio of ongoing projects through implementation, monitoring, and evaluation activities with GEF Agencies and countries, and contribute to the development of strategies and programs to enhance GEF’s impact.
- Manage reviews of project proposals to be financed by the GEF Trust Fund, according to the agreed project review criteria, provide guidance on major issues involved in the development of project proposals and assist in overall preparation of work programs to be presented to council.
- Participate in the GEF work within Regional Teams on GEF issues, including participation in country dialogues, expanded constituency workshops, and the GEF Country Support Program.
- Provide cross-support for climate change mitigation activities across other GEF focal areas and programs, including the use of non-grant instruments for financing global environmental benefits.
- Provide thought leadership across the organization on thematic areas relevant for the GEF-7 Climate Change Mitigation (CCM) Programming Directions, in particular on electric mobility, clean energy, distributed energy solutions and/or energy efficiency.
- Participate in the political outreach to relevant countries in international fora, with the UNFCCC and other related international instruments.
- Provide quality inputs to the CEO and GPU Director on country and thematic briefings, talking points, speeches, analytical/strategic documents.
- Support the design and development of knowledge management products, brochures, outreach and communication material, and provide inputs on the revision of operational processes and procedures, as requested.
- Support the development and delivery of GEF reports, Council documents, engagement plans, and other work products related to the Climate Change Mitigation Focal Area, as needed.
- Undertake additional duties as required by Director and Manager of the GEF Programs Unit.
Applicants must have:
- Master’s degree with at least 8 years of professional experience, or a Ph.D., with 7 years of experience in the field of climate change, natural resources management/environmental sciences, economics, or other relevant discipline.
- Demonstrate an excellent knowledge of global climate change financing architecture, and have experience managing climate change projects and programs, preferably within an international context.
- Demonstrable technical skills in the area of clean energy solutions and emission reduction projects, as well as a good track record in structuring, implementing and/or evaluating projects and programs related to one or more of the following areas:
- Electric mobility and sustainable urban transportation solutions;
- Distributed energy resources and solutions for energy access, including energy storage; and
- Integrated energy efficiency solutions, such as district heating and cooling.
- Ability to deal with a range of stakeholders, international organizations, development agencies, scientific and technical bodies, private sector entities, developing country counterparts, and NGOs would be an advantage.
- Ability to think analytically, strategically, and programmatically.
- Excellent technical and working knowledge in various sectors.
- Proven record of constructive and positive engagement in leading a program and policy dialogue with client Governments, donors and other stakeholders;
- Proven ability to work in teams, both as a team leader and team member
- Demonstrated ability to function as a team player within and across teams.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment in an international setting;
- Working knowledge of the operations of the Global Environment Facility and its Agencies is preferable.
- Preferable language French, Spanish, Portuguese.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.