International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Senior Media Relations Specialist in Washington D.C., United States. The duration of this post is 1 year.
The Senior Media Relations Specialist will develop and lead IFPRI’s media relations strategy to establish IFPRI as a credible, independent authority on the subjects including agriculture, food security, nutrition, climate change and trade.
IFPRI’s mission is to provide research-based policy solutions that sustainably reduce poverty and end hunger and malnutrition.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Senior Media Relations Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Refine and update IFPRI’s external media strategy and tactics as needed to reach targeted audiences with information about IFPRI’s research.
- Coordinate, develop, and implement the media team’s proactive media relations efforts to obtain coverage of IFPRI research and activities in targeted developed and developing countries.
- Organize media outreach campaigns and press events, including launches of IFPRI’s flagship reports, write and edit press materials and other content.
- Build strong relationships with IFPRI researchers both in Washington and in the field to represent and disseminate their research and publications to reporters, donors, policymakers and leaders of the international development community.
- Maintain and develop relationships in the U.S. and key nations globally with journalists and editors from key media outlets, including print, online, television and radio reporters as well as bloggers, to ensure that IFPRI is a key source for agriculture, nutrition and climate change news, among other topics.
- Work closely with field-based communications specialists to provide guidance and develop their capabilities on the ground.
- Ensure their outreach is high-quality, engaging and consistent with other IFPRI outreach.
- Provide media training for researchers and maintain strong internal communications with the research divisions and the director general’s office.
Applicants must have-
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Communications or other relevant areas plus 10 years of journalism or media relations experience (or master’s degree plus 7 years of journalism or media relations experience).
- Experience of proactively using social media channels to engage with the media and secure press coverage.
- Overseas experience, especially in Africa, Asia or Latin America, preferred.
- Background knowledge in economics, agriculture, science or global health strongly preferred.
- Ability to communicate complex research results in a concise and engaging fashion, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work well in a team setting and under pressure of deadlines when necessary and also ability to work independently and in a multicultural environment.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit IFPRI.