Deadline: 22 June 2016
The World Bank Group (WBG) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Urban Specialist in Washington, D.C., United States.
The Urban Specialist will support and occasionally lead teams/projects and work on the urban portfolio mainly in Francophone countries which are predominantly clustered in West and Central Africa in the areas of housing, land, slum upgrading, municipal service delivery and urban infrastructure.
WBG has set two ambitious goals to push extreme poverty to no more 3 percent by 2030, and to promote shared prosperity and greater equity in the developing world.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The Urban Specialist will perform the following functions-
- Carries out responsibilities for a variety of operational tasks including lending, technical assistance and policy advisory work, e.g. technical analyses, design of technical assistance interventions, participation in loan negotiations, etc and take on the lead of specific activities as requested.
- Employs appropriate methodologies for handling simple and complex procurement tasks and/or issues.
- Participates in developing and implementing practice strategy and assists in country-specific policy work.
- Participates in missions in area of specialization; provides technical inputs and guidance to counterparts on appropriate scope, technology, costs, etc.
- Prepares terms of reference for project- or sector-related work.
- Works independently, seeking guidance on complex projects/issues from senior specialists.
- Performs regular reviews of financial/fiduciary, technical, safeguards, budgetary issues and prepare relevant reports and updates on implementation progress as part of Bank teams.
- Makes regular and as needed missions related to lending project preparation and implementation support and analytical/policy advisory work.
- Provides guidance and hands-on support to implementing agencies and management units as part of Bank teams, assisting them in monitoring project progress, procurement processing, preparing and maintaining essential documentation for these processes.
- Identify potential problems and advise on required actions.
Applicants must have-
- Master’s degree in urban planning/development, engineering, economics/finance or related field with 5 years experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Past experience in lending operations/investment projects in urban issues in the areas of focus – housing, land, slum upgrading, municipal service delivery and urban infrastructure.
- Past experience in analytical products in urban issues in the areas of focus – housing, land, slum upgrading, municipal service delivery and urban infrastructure.
- Past experience in policy dialogue in complex urban issues such as land management, housing subsidies, slum upgrading, etc, would be an asset.
- Fluency in French and English, written and spoken are essential.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit WBG.