Deadline: 21 September 2019
United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) is currently seeking applications from eligible applicants for the post of WASH Officer in Maiduguri, Nigeria.
UNICEF works for a world in which every child has a fair chance in life.
Key Jobs Responsibilities
The WASH Officer will perform the following functions:
- Programme development and planning
- Research and analyze regional/national political, WASH, health, and social and economic development trends. Collect, analyze, verify and synthesize information to facilitate programme development, design and preparation.
- Prepare technical reports and inputs for programme preparation and documentation, ensuring accuracy, timeliness and relevance of information.
- Assist in the development/establishment of WASH-related outcome and output results, as well as related strategies, through analysis of WASH sector needs and priorities.
- Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and partners to collect/analyze/ share information on implementation issues, suggest solutions on routine programme implementation and alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level interventions and/or decision.
- Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts and prepare minutes/reports on results for follow up action by higher management and other stakeholders.
- Technical and operational support for programme implementation
- Undertake field visits and surveys, collect and share reports with partners/stakeholders. Report critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems to supervisor, for timely action.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices in WASH, to support programme implementation.
- Humanitarian WASH preparedness and response
- Draft inputs for the preparation of WASH emergency preparedness, including the drafting of required supplies and services, long-term agreements, partnership agreements, and coordination mechanisms.
- Study and fully understand UNICEF’s procedures for responding in an emergency.
- Take up support roles in an emergency response and early recovery, as and when the need arises.
- Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain close working partnerships with government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate programme implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve WASH output results.
- Draft communication and information materials for WASH programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for WASH.
- Participate in inter-agency meetings/events on WASH programming to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF operational planning and preparation of WASH programmes/projects and to integrate and harmonize UNICEF output results and implementation strategies with UNDAF development and planning processes.
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Assist in the development, implementation, monitoring and documentation of WASH action research and innovation (technical or systems).
- Assist in the preparation of learning/knowledge products, covering innovative approaches and good practices, to support overall WASH sector development.
- Assist in creating and delivering learning opportunities for UNICEF WASH staff, to ensure our sector capacity remains up-to-date with latest developments.
- Participate as a resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
Applicants must have:
- An advanced university degree in one of the following fields is required: public health, social sciences, behavior change communication, sanitary engineering; geology or another relevant technical field.
- Additional relevant post-graduate courses that complement/supplement the main degree are a strong asset.
- Minimum 1 year of professional experience in WASH-related programmes for developing countries is required.
- Minimum 1 year of professional experience in WASH-in-Emergencies is required.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
- Nationality of Nigeria.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, please visit UNICEF.